PDA

View Full Version : This may sound like a dumb question - but oh well!

suprasam
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
I purchased my Supra (84/85 Sunsport) a couple of months back. I have been reading the the old ignition is hard to get parts for....and should be changed over. I don't even remember looking, if this was changed over to an electronic ignition....what should I look for to see if it was. Then if it wasn't, what steps should I take to change it over or should I wait till I actually have an issue? I would rather tackle the potential issues over this winter than over my next summmer of being on the lake. I maybe only have another weekend or two, so might as well as get my list together for my winter projects(and my hidden money from my wife)

sybrmike
10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
No dumb questions on here - we all have to start somewhere...

Take the distributor cap off & see what's inside. The old "points" style has a set of electrical contacts, hinged arm, spring, adjustment screws, etc. A newer electronic will simply have a fixed rotor arm and some electrical components, magnet, etc depending on the make and model. Post a pic if you're unsure & we can help identify.

To change or not is personal preference. Electronic is simple, reliable, & requires no adjustment once it's set up - but if it craps out on you, you're dead in the water. Points eventually wear out & require periodic cleaning & adjusting - but aren't likely to leave you completely stranded.

michael hunter
10-07-2011, 09:51 PM
if you have a Prestolite distributor you can get the replacement points at NAPA.
Here are the #s
Points-CS720P
Condenser- AL869
Rotor-AL125
Cap-AL171
Plug Wires-188802
Skidim carries the original PCM parts

suprasam
10-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the help......not nearly as worried