PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Checklist

kvand347
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Here is my winterizing checklist. Let me know if I need to add or change anything. Going to do it Sunday before the Packers beat...well, it doesn't really matter who they play, does it? :D

WINTERIZING ’93 SUPRA SUNSPORT

1. Add Sea Foam to full tank of gas

AT THE LAKE

2. Run motor up to temperature

3. Change motor oil/filter (while warm) CHANGE OIL EVERY 50-75 HOURS
a. Use gallon Ziploc bag for filter
b. Oil: Valvoline VR1 (not synthetic!!) 20w-50 (5 quarts)
c. Filter: Motocraft FL-1A

4. Put boat back in water and run to circulate fresh oil
a. Fog until it stalls/dies

AT HOME

5. Change tranny oil (while warm)
a. Valvoline Dex/Merc III ATF
b. Fill tranny completely full (To protect seals)

6. Fog each cylinder (check spark plugs)

7. Drain water: (2) block, (2) manifold, (1) trans oil cooler (or pull lower hose off), (1) “U” Joint front of motor
a. Use wire to clean out any debris
b. Use anti-seize on bolts

8. Drain/clean water strainer

9. Remove raw water pump and impeller (Pulley on the front left)
a. Store impeller coated with Vaseline in a Ziploc bag

10. Pour RV anti-freeze in the upper hose that attaches to the raw water pump
a. Raise the end of the hose above engine level
b. 3-4 gallons of pink RV anti-freeze
c. Leave in until spring

11. Loosen both belts

12. Remove any water from bilge

13. Clean spark arrestor (brake cleaner or soak in parts cleaner)

14. Clean motor with a rag soaked with WD-40

15. Remove battery, ballast bags, life vests, cushions, and rope bag to store indoors

16. Spray mooring cover with waterproofing spray

17. Vacuum Interior

18. Dryer sheets in boat

19. Top off gas and treat with Sea Foam

20. Wash/wax exterior

docdrs
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Looks good, but I would not do 4a. First your going to piss alot of people off as you smoke them out , then you are putting oil in the lake if the boat is still in the water, And lastly its not need if you are going to do 6. Which is the best way to fog a motor.....thru a carb or TB you are burning most of the oil that you want to coat the cylinder rings. And by seafoam ,I assume you mean fuel stabilizer.

kvand347
10-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Looks good, but I would not do 4a. First your going to piss alot of people off as you smoke them out , then you are putting oil in the lake if the boat is still in the water, And lastly its not need if you are going to do 6. Which is the best way to fog a motor.....thru a carb or TB you are burning most of the oil that you want to coat the cylinder rings. And by seafoam ,I assume you mean fuel stabilizer.

Gotcha with 4a. I thought it might be over-kill with step 6...just wasn't sure. Seafoam is a fuel stabilizer. http://www.seafoamsales.com/tech-info-gas-engines/

freeflyernc
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Why no synthetic?

michael hunter
10-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Only thing I would change is the seafoam. I have been using it for years but I have been reading bad things about seafoam as a stabilizer with the new ethanol fuels. I am changing to marine Stabil. Also there is no need to put the boat in the water just run it on the house water hose.

kvand347
10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Why no synthetic?

My boat has a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft with solid lifters (as opposed to the newer boats with roller cam/lifters) and needs the added zinc in the VR1 oil (Or Shell Rotella). I would NEVER run synthetic in an older motor. I learned the hard way with my '75 corvette...I wiped 4 lobes using unconventional oil! There is no need for synthetic oil if you are changing every 50-75 hours. Just my 2 cents...others will chime in.

kvand347
10-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Only thing I would change is the seafoam. I have been using it for years but I have been reading bad things about seafoam as a stabilizer with the new ethanol fuels. I am changing to marine Stabil. Also there is no need to put the boat in the water just run it on the house water hose.

I have not heard bad things about Seafoam...but definitely noted! I should add that I purchase mid-grade E-0 fuel. I tend to stay away from anything ethanol with older motors. I don't even like it in my '07 Avalanche that is made to run on the E-85. Nothing but bad things IMHO. I've heard marine Stabil is just 2x strength of regular Stabil so you might want to comparison shop for the best price.

kvand347
10-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Also there is no need to put the boat in the water just run it on the house water hose.

Forgot to comment...I don't have a fake-a-lake so this is not a possibility. The WI river is approx. 2 miles away, so it's not a problem bringing it to water.

Okie Boarder
10-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Look at Star-Tron also for a fuel stabilizer. They have a good product. I've been using that regularly. I have a mix of being able to get non-ethanol vs ethanol depending on where I'm going and where I'm able to fill up.

kvand347
10-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Look at Star-Tron also for a fuel stabilizer. They have a good product. I've been using that regularly. I have a mix of being able to get non-ethanol vs ethanol depending on where I'm going and where I'm able to fill up.

I've heard of that before, but have never seen it. Is that an auto parts, Wal-mart, or Fleet Farm thing?

foxriverat
10-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Forgot to comment...I don't have a fake-a-lake so this is not a possibility. The WI river is approx. 2 miles away, so it's not a problem bringing it to water.All you have to do is unhook hose from top of trans cooler that runs to impeller pump. Stick it in 5 gal bucket with garden hose in bucket and you can run it that way.

CincyLaunch
10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Also I'd go to the paint department at Home Depot and pick up some DampRid and put 2 or 3 of them in your boat to suck up extra moisture while its put away. I do that after every weekend to suck up any moisture left from a slight leak in a ballast connector, etc. DampRid rocks!!! The carpet in my boat is always bone dry.

docdrs
10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Forgot to comment...I don't have a fake-a-lake so this is not a possibility. The WI river is approx. 2 miles away, so it's not a problem bringing it to water.

Your other option , and this is what I do with my seadoo's. But a cheap submersible pump, put it in a large container behind your exhaust get a 1' 1/4 barbed fitting with some reducers to fit on your hose to intake hose, dump about 4-5 gallons of the pink stuff in the container and you have a winterizing system too.

lefty's pride
10-17-2011, 01:42 AM
7. Drain water: (2) block, (2) manifold, (1) trans oil cooler (or pull lower hose off), (1) “U” Joint front of motor
a. Use wire to clean out any debris
b. Use anti-seize on bolts

where is the plug for the tranny cooler? or is the drain just pulling off the hose? and what do you mean by u joint front of motor?

10. Pour RV anti-freeze in the upper hose that attaches to the raw water pump
a. Raise the end of the hose above engine level
b. 3-4 gallons of pink RV anti-freeze
c. Leave in until spring

is this done with the plugs out still ?
and is there any special steps of a 88?
is there a dip stick for there tranys or is it a level plug? and the fill for it is ?
this is the fist year i have had to winterize my moms boat after my dad past so thanks for the help

kvand347
10-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions on how to run the boat on the trailer! I used the river this year, but it will definitely be an option for next year. Wish I wouldn't have taken the boat to the launch cause the high winds blew my boat into the rocks and I scratched the sh!t out of the transom. :mad: Just a bad all around weekend. My 1 year old lab passed away, too. :(

kvand347
10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
where is the plug for the tranny cooler? or is the drain just pulling off the hose?

The drain bolt is located between the lower oil hose and the lower water hose. The easier way is just to pull the lower hose to drain. Either one will work...no need to do both.

and what do you mean by u joint front of motor?

The arrow is pointing to where the bolt will be. I believe it to be the same size as the block plugs.

is this done with the plugs out still ?

You want to put all drain plugs back in and connect all hoses except for the upper impeller hose. Pour the RV anti-freeze through that hose to fill. Mine took 3 gallons before it started to come out the exhaust in the transom.

and is there any special steps of a 88?

I wouldn't think so, but I can't be for sure. Mine is a '93 sunsport.

is there a dip stick for there tranys or is it a level plug? and the fill for it is ?

There is a dipstick. Assuming you have the same tranny as me (PCM 1:23:1) from the port (left) side of the transmission there should be a manufacturer's plate. Right below that is the dipstick. It is metal with a 90* bend. Pull straight up hard! Fill is through the same hole with a funnel.

this is the fist year i have had to winterize my moms boat after my dad past so thanks for the help

I'm very sorry for your loss. Ask tons of questions! It is only to your benefit!

Okie Boarder
10-17-2011, 09:10 AM
I've heard of that before, but have never seen it. Is that an auto parts, Wal-mart, or Fleet Farm thing?

I've seen it at Wal-Mart, auto parts stores and a few others in my area.

kvand347
10-17-2011, 09:41 AM
I've seen it at Wal-Mart, auto parts stores and a few others in my area.

Yep! I found it at Wal-mart. I put it in the tank before I winterized this weekend. Thanks!

lefty's pride
10-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Ask tons of questions! It is only to your benefit!
that is for sure im a bit worried last year my buddy and my antie cracked there blocks and my uncle this year cracked a manifold. so need less to say im just a bit worried on doing my moms, and mine for that matter

Sweaver
10-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Subscribed. I'm going to be doing my 88' Comp this weekend.

Sweaver

SquamInboards
10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Your other option , and this is what I do with my seadoo's. But a cheap submersible pump, put it in a large container behind your exhaust get a 1' 1/4 barbed fitting with some reducers to fit on your hose to intake hose, dump about 4-5 gallons of the pink stuff in the container and you have a winterizing system too.

Or put a small garden hose fitting on the bottom (side, near bottom) of a 5 gallon bucket, then adapt into your main water hose the same way. Your RWP has more than enough suction to drain the bucket sitting right on the floor of the boat. You could also use the same homemade garden-hose-to-1"-intake-hose adapter to just run the boat on a hose directly.

wotan2525
10-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Or do what I do and just put the end of your "intake" hose in the bucket. Saves having to buy any adapters or drill into the bucket. Does the same thing!

SquamInboards
10-05-2012, 09:34 AM
The hose makes it a lot easier on a v-drive or sterndrive where access to the intake hose isn't so easy... with a direct drive though you're right it's just easier to stick the intake hose in the bucket.

wotan2525
10-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean the actual intake hose. I have a hose fitting and valves on my intake... I just hook up a garden hose to this, put the other end in a bucket and then fill the bucket with water (or RV antifreeze.)

kvand347
10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean the actual intake hose. I have a hose fitting and valves on my intake... I just hook up a garden hose to this, put the other end in a bucket and then fill the bucket with water (or RV antifreeze.)

If you get a chance, post a pick of it for me wotan.

wotan2525
10-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Will do next time I have a chance. It actually seems like an OEM installation but I've never seen another one like it.

wotan2525
10-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Here's my hose intake ->

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/20121020_112536.jpg

jasun
10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a similar setup. Ill snap some pics of it tomorrow

jasun
10-21-2012, 07:25 PM
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/IMG_0579_zps1e5f9c98.jpg

you cant see because I am a bad photographer but the black hose coiling up and left have a hose connection on it. I plug my hose in and close the valve so it doesnt leak out the bottom.

chrisk
10-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Jasun, are you starting a stringer repair? I'm hoping you are...

86 century
10-24-2012, 06:02 PM

What the 2x4 scabbed on the side of the rotten mush doesn't make it all better. Lol

jasun
10-24-2012, 09:11 PM

*holding my breath and crossing my fingers...* yep

jasun
10-24-2012, 09:13 PM
What the 2x4 scabbed on the side of the rotten mush doesn't make it all better. Lol

For the record, that wasnt me. I have the PO to thank for that one.

86 century
10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
I figured that mess was a gift.

If it makes you feal any better I have seen much worse.

jasun
10-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Ive made it to the front of the engine compartment and the Original Floor is junk all the way up on the passenger side. The driver side is solid with dry foam but the passenger side is terrible.... Oh well. I am looking forward to it!!! it will be a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!! (or so I tell myself)