PDA

View Full Version : '87 saltare + trailer - $850 -- potential v-drive project

mr.jrc
10-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Here is an opportunity to make a saltre into a v-drive....

for sale, a 1987 saltare, hull and trailer project... no engine/drivetrain. $850. Trailer brakes are not functioning, however i just towed this 100 miles without incident. This boat has not seen much love over the past 5 years, the Interior was removed, some cushions and seat frames remain. Floor is rotted on the driver side. Contact me if you are interested.

wotan2525
10-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Wow... Trailer alone is worth $1200 even without brakes. Someone get on this.

Jetlink
10-17-2011, 12:19 PM
If I had the time and wasn't getting married in May, I would seriously consider it as I have a 454 sitting at my friends...

kartman
10-17-2011, 04:02 PM
could you send me some more pics? im looking for a saltare project for the winter. [email protected]

mr.jrc
10-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Some more pics

mr.jrc
10-19-2011, 09:01 PM

This boat was sitting outside for the last 5 years. It must be gutted... floor, foam, stringer removed and replaced to be brought back to life.

I have 2 options,
1. let it go as is, a donor hull for a project like a v-drive conversion and sell for the value of the trailer, today $850
2. or, if you are so inclined, bring your own trailer and take the boat for $0. I'll fix up the trailer as a winter project.

So, i don't see any value left in the boat today, but for someone motivated, it could turn into a really cool project, but you have to get the boat on the cheap for a project like this. So that being said, this is as cheap as it gets, if you want the donor hull only, bring a trailer and you can have it for free, or take the boat and trailer for $850.

haugy
10-20-2011, 09:16 PM
This is an ideal project for someone creative. If I didn't just buy a Saltare and have a newborn, this would already be in my shop getting ready for an epic remake.

sybrmike
10-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Agreed. Like many others, I've ended up replacing/rebuilding a bunch of stuff along the way that I originally thought was good enough as is. Might as well start with just a shell if you're gonna redo everything anyway. Great price & refreshing to see a realistic seller. Hope someone brings her back to life.

mr.jrc
10-25-2011, 11:01 PM
going to post this on e-bay tomorrow, the wife is not a fan of having a second boat in the driveway.8161

kartman
11-05-2011, 09:57 AM
if you were closer to idaho i would take it in a second.

mr.jrc
11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
The Saltare is now gone.... taken to the dump last Saturday, after i stripped all the hardware off. 4 crunches later by the demolition trackhoe and it was a unrecognizable fiberglass pile. Everything was stripped, windshield, lights, instruments, rudder, vents, cables, vent windows, cleats, etc. They are up for sale.. Send me a note if you are looking for something with a reasonable offer, I will eventually put these parts up on e-bay.

wspeedin
11-08-2011, 09:43 AM
So sad to see her destroyed! :( Another beauty lost....may she rest in peace

sybrmike
11-08-2011, 01:42 PM
A moment of silence please....................................... Thank you.

rwrogers
11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I sent two message that you don't seem to be getting. Is this boat still available.

rwrogers
11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
It appears that I replied wrong. If the boat is still available please respond to my personal email [email protected]. If you could send more pictures it would be helpful. thanks, Bob

mr.jrc
11-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Sorry, this saltare is gone, crushed last Saturday. Did not get any takers, and the wife was not happy with my acquisition, so I striped the parts off. (I already have an 86 saltare), this 87 was a basket case, a lot of chips in the gelcoat, saturated flooring, cracks in the hull/gelcoat from the freezing of the water saturated in the foam below the floor, etc. I thought long and hard about scrapping, brought a tear to my eye to see it get crushed. The good news is that it will live on as a parts donor to those of you that need to repair/fix stuff.

haugy
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!! WHY!!!!!! WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!!!!!!!

If you had said "free Saltare" I'd have come and got it. I'm sure I could think of something creative for that hull.

Dear christ man, why?????????? I know you had to get it out, but damn man.

mr.jrc
11-08-2011, 09:28 PM
This is an ideal project for someone creative. If I didn't just buy a Saltare and have a newborn, this would already be in my shop getting ready for an epic remake.

it was offered, you declined.

haugy
11-09-2011, 10:33 AM
it was offered, you declined.

For $850. You even quoted my reason as to why I said not now. But how much did you get for scrapping it??? Nothing?

That's when you should have said, "Free Saltare for the next 48hours, come and get it".

I have people in New York that could have come and got it (without trailer) and let me come get it.

You're one of the guys that probably would turn in their 1966 Chevelle Convertible SS on the cash for clunkers thing.

Sorry man, I'm not trying to hate on ya, but that just really bugs me seeing someone purposefully shred one of these boats.

cavilry
11-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Wow, are you really acting like this to someone who did what they would with their own property? Truly kind of rude...and he did clearly say in this thread that it was offered up for free...

cavilry
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
And just so you know...I do understand where you are coming from (I am building an old Alfa Romeo and it KILLS me to see them get scrapped) but it just seems a little harsh to call someone out like that.

wspeedin
11-09-2011, 12:10 PM

This boat was sitting outside for the last 5 years. It must be gutted... floor, foam, stringer removed and replaced to be brought back to life.

I have 2 options,
1. let it go as is, a donor hull for a project like a v-drive conversion and sell for the value of the trailer, today $850
2. or, if you are so inclined, bring your own trailer and take the boat for $0. I'll fix up the trailer as a winter project.

So, i don't see any value left in the boat today, but for someone motivated, it could turn into a really cool project, but you have to get the boat on the cheap for a project like this. So that being said, this is as cheap as it gets, if you want the donor hull only, bring a trailer and you can have it for free, or take the boat and trailer for $850.

Just thought I would put that in there for ya Haugy....Its sad to see it die, but it was preventable if you really desired it.

haugy
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah I see it now. I apologize for jumping on him. But I mean really, with the way this forum blends everything together you think we read every line? Seeing the "I'd let it go for $850" in the sentence above me pretty much turned off my reader. Not too mention he was still posting pics so I assumed he was still trying to sell it.

So that does suck I missed out on it. But yeah, still shouldn't have scrapped it.

Here's a trick.....

type and then put another [b] but with a / before the b and you get "[b]FREE SALTARE COME AND GET IT, NO TRAILER"

Think we would have seen that? :)

Jetlink
11-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I think what we have all learned from this is that Haugy is a true die hard when it comes to these old Supra boats. I am not too familiar with the work he has done with the supras he has restored in the past but suffice to say, Haugy loves these boats and to see another one slip away must be crushing to him. To have that passion for a vintage boat can sometimes lead to strong emotions and I think that is what we witnessed in this thread. If ever anyone were to suggest starting an organization to save the old supras, I would nominate Haugy to be the president. And while some of my posts in the past may have sounded a bit on the sarcastic side, this one is said with true sincerety.

cadunkle
11-10-2011, 09:49 AM
This one wasn't an unreasonable drive from me and I thought about it. I will say I did see the $850 w/ trailer AND the free without trailer. I don't need two Saltares to spend $5k fixing up a boat that I already have. If someone really wanted it I could have picked it up for the cost of gas and helped get it to wherever or held it for a bit. Heck, I could have put my Saltare in the water for a week or two and used my trailer. End of season so marina wouldn't charge me much to keep it there and I might use it more. lol Or just blocked this one up in the yard. I just couldn't jsutify picking it up for myself since I have the exact same boat, but in good condition.

I can relate to the OP though. I've scrapped several thousands of pounds of good running small block Fords, 289/302/351, a bunch of rare and hard to find parts too. When you list the stuff for sale for $1 and say come get it for whatever you wanna pay or it goes to scrap... and still nobody wants it? I felt bad for scrapping a lot of that stuff but if I'm enver gonna use it and you can't give it away, it has to go eventually because I'm not gonna "pay" to keep it by cluttering my work area forever with things I'll never use. If anyone was serious and wanted this, they could have told the OP to hold it for a bit, or posted in this thread asking if anyone local was willing to help with logistics. It's unfortunate, but maybe the value of my boat just went up? :p

cavilry
11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Get chewed out by forum members or get nagged by the wife....good choice OP.

Blackntan90
11-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it's sad, but look for the silver lining- our boats just got a little more rare!