PDA

View Full Version : 86 Saltare floor replacement -- archive pics

mr.jrc
10-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Thought i would post some pics of my '86 saltare floor rebuild project. It has now been 11 years since this was done, and i still have a solid deck & stringers without any compromise. I removed the upper half and suspended it from my garage ceiling..
(another story, another project build in process). set the circular saw depth to just cut out the decking, and took out the whole floor. 8112 8114
Found that a shovel was the best means to remove the saturated foam, note how much foam ... filled the bed of my truck!

At this point, i determined that the stringers needed replaced too, and brought the boat back to supra where Anthony took care of it from here, installing new stringers, flooring and carpet.

lively
10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
cool lets see some more !

sybrmike
10-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for posting - glad to hear it's holding up well... Love the pic of the foam filling the truck bed (I hated that part). I assume they put foam back in at the factory? My cap removal was a rafter job also - 8 pulleys, 2 winches, & a mile of rope. Got any pics of how she looks today?

mr.jrc
10-17-2011, 09:26 PM

.... some current pictures. Some other items that have been added, wakeplate, depth finder (replaced the clock with the depth gauge), and a shower (a must here in upstate NY for early or late season skiing).

If I were to do it again, i would relocate the exhaust pipes inside of the main stringers.. such that they penetrate the hull in the center sump area... any leaks from the exhaust penetrations will be very evident vs. located in a buried area between stringers. I still have my supertrapp exhaust baffles, and every year check the 3M 5200 that seals the pipes to the hull... only had one problem with the seals when my impeller ate itself, and the engine ran hot before i noticed and shut it down.... this made the 5200 loose its itegrity.

mr.jrc
10-17-2011, 09:41 PM
and yes, they did replace the foam, although i would not do that again either. Even though they say "closed cell foam" does not absorb water, ask anyone who has shoveled this stuff out after being trapped below the flooring and saturated. The boat was probably carrying 1000lbs of extra weight with this saturated foam.