PDA

View Full Version : Can V6 Pathfinder pull '11 Supra 21v?

OnlyButter
10-18-2011, 10:20 AM
About to buy a 2wd '08 Pathfinder, V6. Rated at 6000LB towing capacity.

Anyone see any issues with this rig launching my new boat ('11 Launch 21v) ? The 21v is 3800LB + about 1000LB for the trailer = 4800LB. I'm sure the pathfinder can pull it on the road just fine, but is there any concern about dropping it in the water (potential sliding??) or pulling it out?

Or should I bite the bullet and get a V8? I'd really rather not...

wotan2525
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
The V8 gets only slightly worse gas mileage and will pay for itself when you resell. Keep in mind that your 4800 lbs doesn't include fuel or gear. I don't think another 1000lbs is unrealistic. This puts you too close to the limit. Can it tow it? Yes. Is it a good idea? Probably not. I only tow a mile in each direction and only on surface streets.... I'd be comfortable with the pathfinder for that duty but not for longer runs or interstate travel.

michael hunter
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Yes it can but the real question is do you feel lucky. It will be hard on the truck and long distance will be questionable. You will be white knuckling at higher speeds and in an emergency you will be a passenger. I towed with a 2001 GMC Safari van 4.3L 6000 lb tow rating it got 9.5 mpg towing. I now have a 2005 GMC Savana 3500 6L it gets 10 mpg towing and I dont even know the boat is back there. If you want care free towing go big you wont regret it.

iwakeboard
10-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Given, I don't have a Nissan but I have a V6 Toyota 4Runner and it was rated for 5,000 lbs. I used to own a 17' runabout and it would tow it like a champ, but there was two years where I was towing a single axle Mastercraft X7 (20 feet) and it hated towing it. It would do it, but it was using every bit of the engine to do it. I basically had to have people meet me at the ramp, they couldn't ride with me because once you get gas, boards, gear, etc additional people would just kill the mileage. From time to time I even had the transmission overheating light come on, and I didn't tow it 10 miles. I still have my 4Runner, ticking over 210,000 miles this week, but I don't even think about towing my Supra 24SSV with it. My 4Runner is also 2 wheel drive and I had a HELL of a time at some ramps. We learned a trick to "boost" it. Once the boat was on the boat buddy and we were ready to pull out we'd have someone in the boat floor it at the same time I was giving the 4Runner gas and once the 4Runner got going and the boat was coming out of the water we'd turn it off.

the "too long; didn't read" version of my post is: go for a V8.

bens250ex
10-18-2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDKU7NFAu8

Sluggo
10-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Dang it. Quit linking youtube videos. I just spend an hour watching idiots on the water when I should be working.

suprasam
10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
You should be also thinking about being to stop your boat. Pulling is easier than being able to stop.

iwakeboard
10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
You should be also thinking about being to stop your boat. Pulling is easier than being able to stop.

Surprisingly, with my 4Runner, the trailer brakes worked so well I could feel the trailer stopping my 4Runner quicker than my 4Runner brakes.

suprasam
10-18-2011, 04:17 PM
The trailer brakes are a must, at least in my opinion. Although with that type of light vehicle it will/can easily twist on wet pavement. That vehicle isn't designed to carry that or stop.

Jetlink
10-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Dang it. Quit linking youtube videos. I just spend an hour watching idiots on the water when I should be working.

Haha, I did the same thing earlier... Some of those videos were bad too.

pap
10-20-2011, 09:29 PM
I have a Honda Ridgeline that I've used for one season now for towing a 2009 21V, which I think is the same weight. It's RIGHT AT the maximum towing capacity, which means no other passengers and no other gear on the boat. With a full fuel tank, I'm probably over a bit. The ridgeline tows fine on flats, but does stuggle going up hills to keep speed, it will drop down 2 gears and I'll be running high RPM to keep speed at 65mph on a good hill.

on flats and through curves it feels perfectly adequate, with the dual axel trailer with trailer brakes it doesn't feel worrisome.

Having said ail that, I would definitely NOT but a truck/SUV with a borderline towing capacity for this boat. I had planned to buy a new F150 to get more safety margin but with a son about to turn 16 I'm terrified of the bills, so I think I'm going to park my boat near the lake next summer and only be towing a mile or two (was towing about 40 miles each way this summer).