PDA

View Full Version : Job Search

chrisk
10-19-2011, 02:02 AM
So I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post about this on here or not so just take it off if I'm not! : ) The basic subject of this post is to pitch myself. I'm currently a senior at the University of Missouri studying Business Administration with an emphasis in marketing. I will be graduating in May and I'm starting to become fairly nervous about my job search and the market for fresh graduates today.

I just thought I'd throw this out there and ask if there is anyone on here who may know of a connection into the marketing field or know of a job opening somewhere? I'd obviously love to turn my passion into an occupation and work in the marine industry but I understand it's not exactly the time to be picky; so, I'm honestly up for anything. I know it's a long shot but I don't really have anything to lose.

Aside from that, anyone have advice for a soon-to-be-graduate on the job hunt? Thanks in advance!

webbbrad
10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Chris,
One suggestion.. If you have time/availability in your schedule, try to reach out to area company's and offer to be a free intern. Explain to them you want to learn! Get yourself a LinkedIn account and network on there. Try to do research to find names of marketing professionals in your area.
I have a guy working for me today that called me in his last semester and said he needed an internship... i could not pay, but needed the help.. he interned for the semester, got a job in the industry pretty quick after graduation because he had the experience on his resume' . Also, dont limit yourself to what you consider "marketing". Look in the sales community as well. try to find some sales professionals that you could offer help too. even independent reps.
I know about 5 independent sales reps in Columbia, MO that would all consider some "free help". if you have time available.....

send me a PM if you have interest in helping some independent reps out... (all in hunting/outdoors industry)..

wotan2525
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
The only way to get in anywhere in the marketing field right now is to either have an MBA from a top tier school with a 3.5+ GPA or know someone.

The idea of a free internship is a good one. Think of the companies where you would LOVE to work and start there. It's a paying your dues process but the idea is that they will like you so much that they'll end up hiring you (or you'll be first in line when a position opens up.)

Tell me more about what you're looking for and I'll try to help. Do you want to work in an ad agency or for a marketing team? A lot of marketing people go into sales but if I had to do it over again, I would have gone into agency work. Hard, long hours until you pay your dues but you get to work with cutting-edge, creative people and the clients ALWAYS have money to drop.

Of course, I'm in sales so it might just be a case of the grass always being greener. ;)

chrisk
10-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Wotan, interesting to hear you'd like to work with an agency. I haven't given much thought into which side of the field I would like to be involved in; like I said before, it's a bad time to be picky. I can see your point about working in an agency, though. It would be nice to be able to cycle through projects and see fresh material over and over. I think I would enjoy that but I believe I would also enjoy working for a marketing team in an established company. It would be very rewarding working for a company that I personally enjoy or have an interest in (such as SC).

As far as the MBA goes, that's kind of out of the question right now, financially and for other reasons. I have completed 4 different internships and held a couple of different positions that have helped me learn a few things so I'm hopeful that someone will take notice and give me a chance.

michael hunter
10-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Three years ago most of the collage kids supported the ''Hope and Change'' agenda . Are the students still following the Left even at the cost of their own future? I hope things work out for you maybe after the election in 2012 things will get better.

chrisk
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Yeah, things could be better, but it's easy on the mind to think of the half-full side of the cup: truth is, 9 out of every 10 people in America have a job. I know that may not be true for individuals in my position looking for the kind of jobs I'm looking for, but it's still nice to think about. : )