PDA

View Full Version : 86 Sunsport - Stringers need to be replaced - any quality sources in Midwest?

ckracing
10-20-2011, 09:23 PM
May be looking for options. Any shop recommendations?

csuggs
10-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Midwest? Where? Do you want to do it yourself or take it to someone?

ckracing
10-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Got it at a restoration shop now. Comfortable with them 100% but for the good of the project may want to outsource stringer replacement. I'm in Greater Cincinnati. Willing to deliver and pick up within 5 hours for job done right (quality & $).
Thanks in advance!

csuggs
10-24-2011, 06:46 AM
What work are you having done at the restoration shop? I assume since it's at a shop you need interior work?

To do the job right I would get the stringer job first, before anything else. I would recommend Bennetts Boat Repair near Knoxville for the stringers. He (Donny Bennett) has repaired lots of Supras over the years and is familiar with all the problems inherent to our boats. There's also a guy in Reynoldsburg, OH (near Columbus) that does that kind of work, but I don't know his work. Donny has a good reputation and will turn the job around quickly. I used Viper Customs but I would not recommend them. They did a good job, but Jim has issues that interfere with his business. Figure on $5000 for a good deck-off stringer and floor job.

Bennett's Boat Repair

517 Pink Dogwood Ln
Maryville, TN 37803
865-982-9589

We would love to see pictures of your boat - post 'em up!

Clint

ckracing
10-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the information. Yes - original plan was to address all functional items and then pretty and polish. During initial investigation / estimate the engine bay stringers were not solid. Started to remove the floor up to the front and discovered a notch and patch won't do it - needs to be cap off. The shop can handle the work - www.antiqueboat.com

Just trying to move it along.
Poor planning on my behalf. I just got back from a long weekend in the Smoky Mountains. I could've dropped off while I was there...

Thanks - I'll be contacting Donny.