PDA

View Full Version : stringer type

texas scarecrow
10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed on this board before but I can't find anything.

What type of lumber is best for stringers?
yellow pine and CPES is where I'm leaning rt now.
Or treated yellow pine with CPES
thought? other ideas?
Thanks

bdumas35
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Hello Scarecrow.

Several options avail. on the stringer material. Be careful on the treated stuff. It is usually wet from the suppliers so you have to let it dry thoroughly or risk a poor bond. also
when it dries it twists and tweaks. I don't use it anymore even for decks etc.
Fir is good but I used 3/4 marine ply and laminated it together for the main stringers. Plus you can utilize the ply scraps for other reinforcements and stuff.
Yellow pine usually has a lot of knots.
CPES... In the summer here in Texas I just used US Composites " Thin Resin with "Slow Hardener" . The wood soaked it up like a sponge.
Just my opinion. Good luck and keep asking questions.

bens250ex
10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
im using doug fir for my stringers

lively
10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I second the douglas fir option , just coat it with some CPES / or i used poly to seal it ...

sybrmike
10-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Yellow pine is usually pretty weak, full of knots, twists, etc. I went with exterior grade plywood. Same waterproof glue as marine ply, just the chance for some voids. Whatever you use, make sure it's dry before you seal it up real good (CPES, resin, etc) and pay attention to the glass work.

Okie Boarder
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I used doug fir. I've seen exterior or marine ply used, also. Pine wouldn't be horrible, but there are issues as have been noted.