PDA

View Full Version : Help Fixing Swim Platform

kvand347
10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Any ideas on what a 2004 swim platform is made out of? Mine has tons of cracking in it and now a nice shaved part on the side from blowing into rocks. It almost looks like bondo (pink). The bottom is cracked up as well. I would want to redo both the top and bottom. Fiberglass? Marine bondo? Suggestions?

Anybody got a swim platform they want to get rid of near WI?

lively
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
pics ? , its all fiberglass bud , just sand/ grind down the area of the (stress cracks ) and either fill with new fiberglass bondo , or put new fiberglass mat and resin , depending on how many cracks and area it is in .... either way it might be easier for you to take it to a body shop and have them repair the cracks .. or you can tackle it ... its not that hard really ..

kvand347
10-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Sorry no pics of the damage. It is already in storage off site and am just thinking about what to do in spring. Your answer is what I was looking for. Definitely will do it myself...nothing difficult about laying fiberglass or using bondo!

lively
10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
If u gonna lay fiberglass , only use enough for the repair , don't overlap onto the gel coat , just make layers and then use the filler to seal and smooth it all up ... Take pics ! That's how most of are DIY guys learn lol good luck

kvand347
10-26-2011, 10:33 AM
After further looking, my platform seems to be off a 2000 model. It is a rounded platform with no grab rail on it. I don't think mine has gelcoat on it...it looks like 2 layers of paint. Not sure if this is a homemade jobber or something real. I know, I know...pics. I will see about getting some this weekend. For now, here is the only one I have.

jet
11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I have a whole thread on here with pictures on my repair, but I cant find it?? I have searched and searched? But I rebuilt man, brought it out 1-1/2" so it was a little bigger, I used BIGGER wood in it to make it stronger than it was and then fiberglassed it better that it was made. Do a search, but I cant find it. It was prob 1-1/2 yrs ago?? Good luck. Jet