PDA

View Full Version : First Boat - Supra Conbrio

jwwalk
10-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I just bought my first boat, a 1989 Supra Conbrio with 490 hours on it (351 PCM). Do you guys have any advice on upkeep of the boat or issues I should look for while running?

dusty2221
10-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Looks like a jet on the water! Enjoy it!

jet
10-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks dusty. lol. #1 buy a xtra cooling pump impeller (pumps cool water to the engine) to have on board, they go out over time or by starting the engine dry. And NO you CANNOT start it out of the water for any reason, even if it sounds cool. I would go thru the whole fuel system. Clean it and change all filters and add a glass filter before the fuel pump and after the fuel pump before the carb. That way if your stuck out on the water one day and it wont start you can see if your carb is getting fuel and it will allow you to see what kind of junk may be coming out of the tank. #2 Pull the tank over winter and dump it out. Then really just treat it like your car or truck. Check belts, hoses, wires change the oil as needed. Really the age of her is why you need to look into the carb (cleaning) and the tank. Most dont take care of them or they sit for long periods of time. Then the BIG one is the wooden floors, they are know for getting soft and needing to be replaced. Lots of manual hrs but can be done pretty cheaply. Am I missing anything guys? Jet

mr.jrc
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Check the exhaust seals/hull penetration through the stern, i would remove the supertrapps/(or flappers) remove the 3M5200 (or silicon) seal, and re-seal. This is the entry point for water under the floor. Also lubricate the rudder (grease fitting on the inside hub), drain and replace the transmission fluid, engine oil and winterize.. lots of good posts on winterizing the engine, with your vintage it is alot easier. (I remove the impeller every year during winterization so it does not take a 'set'. John

crystal waters
11-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I have the almost identical boat - same year! Love it! Have had it since 1992 as second owner!
The one thing you have to watch on the open bow is that it can be a "wet" boat in that waves can come over the bow when meeting head on if you are under power at a slow speed. The trick is to simply bump the throttle to get the nose up a bit to get over the wave so you stay dry. You will notice this when pulling a skier, for example. When the skier drops you turn around over your own wake and if at slow speed will take water over the bow so simply add a bit of power to get over the wake with nose up! I always run my boat with the front tonneau cover on. This keeps it dry! When moored or drifting I take it off to enjoy the added space it offers. You will quickly see what I am describing here and will learn to keep it dry. If the inevitable wave does make it over the bow make sure at days end you open up the walk thru locker and the anchor rope hatch at the very front of the play pen to allow for airflow so it dries out quickly!
While this sounds onerous it is not, you learn to handle it as second nature . Trust you will enjoy the boat as much as we do!
This is a great boat and looks awesome on the water!
Crystal Waters

jimmyk102
11-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Crystal Waters said it. I have a 90 Conbrio, watch the bow, keep the nose up & yes you will take water over the bow from time to time, yet you will learn how to drive over a wave pretty quick & still manage to stay dry - simple trial & error. What I use to keep the ski locker cushion, engine cover, & back ski locker all raised up when not in use is 2" PCV cut into (3) 3" lengths. They all stay in place very nice & water resistant too.

jet
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Heres my boat with 1600-1700 lbs in her. The BIGGEST mistake that most people make when dropping a rider is stopping for 10-15 secs BEFORE you turn around to pick them up. IF YOU ARE HITTING OR DODGING YOUR OWN WAKE. You arent doing it correctly or your going to fast. It goes like this for EVERY boat, not just our style boats, slow throttle back, wait for a few seconds (never go straight to neutral, water can come back over the back, and it THROWS people around in your boat-its NOT needed) then drop to neutral, THEN WAIT-5-10 seconds and let YOUR OWN wake go by, then go get your rider. I cant tell you how many experienced drivers just dont get it. If you turn around to fast the wake can come over the bow even on a 23' boat, and if you have people up front this isnt pleasent. You either get a big wake jump and they get slammed from the boat dropping after your wake goes by, or it dumps 10-20 gals of water in the boat and soaks the riders up front. YOU ALSO DON'T HAVE TO POWER TURN to go back and pick up your rider or ride back over your own wake. Oh yeah..1 more thing, dont spill your drink while doing this rookie!! lol

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1445657032200

crystal waters
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Jet is very correct on his comments re turning to pick up a skier. Works every time!
You will however encounter situations where you need to get back to your dropped skier quickly to "shelter" them from other boats and skiers if on a busy lake etc.It is at those times you will find yourself crossing your own wake! Also , if doing a slow idle cruise and you encounter oncoming waves from other boats out there you will need to either turn your boat such that the wave does not hit you head on (or over the bow it may come) or bump your throttle to get the nose up to cross the wave head on in a dry manner.As I said earlier, you will quickly learn all this and it will become second nature in an open bow Conbrio.
Enjoy your boat!

jwwalk
12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
So since it cold in Michigan and the boat is winterized and wrapped, I decided to refinish the teak platform. Went to harbor freight and bought a random orbital sander and 80, 100, 150 grit paper for $30. Best $30 spent. I sanded and oiled the teak and it turned out pretty good considering it was all grey when I started.

jet
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Thats pretty man.

daviddragon
12-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Congratulations on your new boat! Enjoy it.

hyghoctane
12-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Great looking boat! Love the swim platform! My first supra is a conbrio and love it. Enjoy many hour on the water!

Jeff Rowland - Hygh Octane Graphics