PDA

View Full Version : Stringers

MikeDietz
10-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I have a 1986 Supra comp ski boat with a Ford Pleasure Craft engine. I'm the original owner. While getting the boat checked out and winterized we discovered the stringers are rotten. Is this beyond fixable? Can new stringers be attached to the old ones? The mechanic told me it was a design flaw having to do with the exhaust placement. I hate to just throw the boat away!

foxriverat
10-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Just search stringers and you will find tons of pictures and info on replacing them.

michael hunter
10-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Its a big job but not impossible as Foxriverat said there are many members that have replaced them and posted the procedures they used. You can expect to pay 2-3k if you do the work yourself 4-5k if you have it done. What condition is the boat in? Can you post some pics of it?

csuggs
10-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Mike-
Your mechanic is right about the design flaw with the exhaust. MANY OF US have had the same issues as you, and many including myself have born the expense of having repairs done. It's expensive, but I don't know of anyone at has had regrets about having their old Supra repaired in this manner. Click on my profile and check out the pics of my 86 Sunsport. And check out the many threads on here showing step-by-step rebuild procedures. The going rate for a properly done stringer and floor rebuild (and by properly I mean taking the deck off), is around $5000. Let us know if you names of craftsmen skilled in this area. Good Luck!

Jetlink
10-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey Clint, when you had your stringers and floor redone, did you relocate the exhaust as well?

csuggs
10-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Hey Clint, when you had your stringers and floor redone, did you relocate the exhaust as well?

I did not relocate, but went with flappers instead of the oem supertrapps. The problem is that the supertrapp exhaust requires periodic maintenance to keep a good seal so that water can't find its way in. At the time these boats were built, I don't think anyone knew of this requirement. If properly installed, the flappers require no attention.

wspeedin
10-30-2011, 05:41 PM
I did not relocate, but went with flappers instead of the oem supertrapps. The problem is that the supertrapp exhaust requires periodic maintenance to keep a good seal so that water can't find its way in. At the time these boats were built, I don't think anyone knew of this requirement. If properly installed, the flappers require no attention.

Which flappers did you go with? Will they fit the saltare?

csuggs
10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Just get flappers to fit your exhaust -should be 3" tubing.

Jetlink
10-30-2011, 10:27 PM

What is your method of sealing the flappers? I just purchased flappers to get rid of the super trapps and I plan on changing them out in the spring.