PDA

View Full Version : Winch

Eric1687
11-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Looking to build a winch, anyone have any good websites or info for me ?

suprasam
11-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm all up for building things yourself when possible, but can I ask why you would want to build your own winch? I would think the metal cost, and having the teeth machined perfect would cost an arm and a leg.....why not just buy one for $100.00? Not saying it can't be done.....just curiouse. Thanks
Good luck building.

Eric1687
11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Actually im talking about a winch that is powered by a 6.5 hp engine with 600' to 1000' of line to wakeboard or wakeskate pounds or whatever.

rkmfl
11-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Eric, I'm sorry that I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I thought I would share some information I learned on the topic.

First, I had done a little searching on Google back when I was looking into it, and there is an entire forum dedicated to homemade wakeboard winches. I think it's over at Wakeboard World or something like that. There is also a company that makes an entire kit called "Krypto Winch" or something along those lines.

More importantly, I spoke to a guy that built his own. This was a guy that had his own welding equipment and a very good experience with engines (he is a boat mechanic by trade). He told me that after everything was said-and-done, he only saved about $100-$150 from buying a Grinch Winch @Retail.

Hope that helps!

astinwes
11-04-2011, 09:29 AM
i am building a winch right now and will be finished hopefully by december. I will have about $800 in it when i'm finished. It will have a 6.5hp honda clone and a TAV (Torq-a-verter). If you look at the winch companies that sell comparable winches, they will sell for $1600+. The cheapest winch you can by retail will run about $1300, but uses a centrifugal clutch instead of the TAV (which is not as strong or durable).

Your main cost will be in the motor, Tav, and Steel. You can build the winch with 1 stick of steel tubing. The clone engines are really cheap, you can pick them up on sale at harbor freight for $79-$99 with a two year warranty. I paid $79 for mine. The TAV will run about $200. If you have the means to fabricate your own, you can make a quality product for 1/2 the price.

I'm an engineer for a large manufacturing company so the labor for welding will be free, but i am paying for all the materials. Email me if you have any questions, and i will post pictures of the winch when it is complete. thanks.

wotan2525
11-04-2011, 10:36 AM
i am building a winch right now and will be finished hopefully by december. I will have about $800 in it when i'm finished. It will have a 6.5hp honda clone and a TAV (Torq-a-verter). If you look at the winch companies that sell comparable winches, they will sell for $1600+. The cheapest winch you can by retail will run about $1300, but uses a centrifugal clutch instead of the TAV (which is not as strong or durable).

Your main cost will be in the motor, Tav, and Steel. You can build the winch with 1 stick of steel tubing. The clone engines are really cheap, you can pick them up on sale at harbor freight for $79-$99 with a two year warranty. I paid $79 for mine. The TAV will run about $200. If you have the means to fabricate your own, you can make a quality product for 1/2 the price.

I'm an engineer for a large manufacturing company so the labor for welding will be free, but i am paying for all the materials. Email me if you have any questions, and i will post pictures of the winch when it is complete. thanks.

I didn't know HF sold honda clones. I'm going to see if they make one that will bolt into my snowblower chasis. The 20 year old frame still works great but the 10hp engine shakes like crazy!

astinwes
11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
HF has clones, the one i have is just like the GX200.

Eric1687
11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Ya i havent started yet but am still reaching it, found a good web site http://www.wakeboarding-winch.com/ if you havent already found it. I got a few questions for you what size steel are you using? where did you get your axle ? what are you using for a spool ?

astinwes
11-07-2011, 09:21 AM
i'm using 14ga 2 x 2 tubing, its a little overkill but i have plenty from a previous job. I'm making my own spool. The outer plates of the spool are 6061-T6 aluminum, it will have allthread rod to connect the two plates and pipes to cover the all thread. Heres a quick picture of the spool assembly.

Eric1687
11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Are you using a tav torque converter ?

SuperSaltAir
11-08-2011, 12:48 AM
There is a local guy here his name is phoenix winch im sure if you google him something will come up he makes and sells winches and kits out of his garage he is pretty reasonable give him a try