PDA

View Full Version : Bounce, bounce, snap!

Okie Boarder
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I was jumping on the trampoline with a friend and the kiddos last Saturday night. We were bouncing each other higher and I came down wrong. My leg kind of hyperextended backwards and snap. As first we thought ACL or something but it turns out to be a tibial plateau fracture. Surgery is supposed to be this coming Thursday. Here is a collage of pics from the CT.

webbbrad
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
OUCH.. better now than SUMMER.. hope it will be better than new now!

chrisk
11-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Yeah believe me, I was immobilized for 14 weeks during my senior ski season.. there are worse times to do it. But there never is a 'good' time, sorry bro

sybrmike
11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Tough luck, Okie. At least it was "only" the bone - ACL's & other ligaments/tendons don't heal nearly as well (especially since some of us aren't spring chickens anymore). Best wishes for the upcoming procedure & a speedy recovery.

Okie Boarder
11-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Surgery tomorrow and then it should look a little something like this...

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0520/as_ski_Tannertibia_630.jpg

Jetlink
11-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Not too familiar with procedures like this but, is that a permanent "fix" or just to allow the bone to heal? If not, you are going to become good friends with the TSA if you ever travel by air. Hope you have an uneventful procedure and a smooth and healthy recovery.

Okie Boarder
11-11-2011, 06:22 AM
They are permanent. Yes metal detectors have the possibility of picking them up.

Okie Boarder
11-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Surgery went well...doctor was very pleased. It took one plate and 10 screws. Pain is worse than pr-surgery but they are slowly getting it under control.

sybrmike
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Glad it went well. Don't be bashful - ask the docs for the "good stuff" if it gets too rough. When I got busted up bad, I learned the difference between painkillers and narcotics - painkillers make the pain tolerable, narcs make it where you don't care...

Good luck with the healing & do your PT religeously when the time comes.

Jetlink
11-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Glad it went well. Don't be bashful - ask the docs for the "good stuff" if it gets too rough. When I got busted up bad, I learned the difference between painkillers and narcotics - painkillers make the pain tolerable, narcs make it where you don't know you are in pain...

Good luck with the healing & do your PT religeously when the time comes.

There, fixed it for you Mike.

Okie Boarder
11-13-2011, 12:35 PM
There was quite a bit of pain the first night, but they did a good job getting it under control...kept the drugs coming...LOL. They are already doing some light PT and I repeat at home actually moving the knee some. After just a couple days I can say it is feeling better than before the surgery and I'm looking forward to working through the healing process.

Here's a pic of the large incision (may be a little gross for some). I'm thinking some ink enhancement might be fun once it is healed.

sybrmike
11-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Behold, it's alive - Frankenknee! Best wishes for a full & speedy recovery.

Okie Boarder
11-14-2011, 12:10 PM
LOL...thanks!

firstdogriver
11-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Looks like your knee stringers are rotten. This is a common problem with pre 1992 knees. I suggest you save yourself some money and start the DIY replace knee stringer winter project. Remember to post lots of pictures, like when you remove the cap and all the grinding.

P.S. That is going to be one project were you are going to need a lot of beer.

Okie Boarder
11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
LOL...awesome!

Salty87
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
using the whole fist there, doc? lol

that's a whopper of an incision, very stylish too. were they charging by the staple? i've got a large ss implant (femural rod) and have never set off airport metal detectors. i wonder what it looks like on one of the xrays...i've been through but they didn't say anything.

happy healing!

Okie Boarder
11-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, so far so good. I've been to PT a couple times and been doing exercises at home (bending the knee, leg lifts, toe/foot movement, quad flexes) and things are going well so far. It's amazing how much the muscles have weakened and how much range of motion I've lost already. Right now I'm in a full brace that's just the padded type with the metal bars in it. After the incisions are healed I go back into the nicer hinged brace. Pain is doing well and I was able to stop taking one of the pain meds a couple days ago. It definitely takes a bit of an emotional toll not being able to sit or lay certain ways and do certain things. I've been resting, doing my exercises and trying to keep busy as much as possible to pass the time. I'm looking forward to being able to get back into work and a more normal routine. My wife and kids have been great...very helpful and caring. That is truly a blessing!

Okie Boarder
01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Went to the doc today for my ~8 week follow up. He said everything is looking good. He released me to drive (which my wife is really happy about). I'm also now able to start some weight bearing and more aggressive PT. He wants me to start with about 25% weight bearing this week, 50% next and so on. I should be off crutches in another month if all goes well.

86 century
01-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Glad things are looking up

You have another two months before board season.
So get on pt

wspeedin
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey Okie, I hate to hear that you injured yourself and Im glad you are getting a good recovery. I saw your xray and it inspired me to show you mine :) lol, not to over do yours or anything, just thought some would want to see other xray pics.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/RSView.jpg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/FrontView.jpg

Also, you said something about trying to cover the scar up with some ink. The tattoo artists say that you need the scar to have healed for 2 or more years. I also tried covering my scar up with this
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/CIMG0232.jpg

Okie Boarder
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM
85 century...definitely going to be working on it. Once I'm up and about a little more normal, I'm hitting the gym to really work on strength and stamina (cardio) overall for this next season.

William, that's some serious screw work there. I like the tatt work...looks good. Yeah I talked to a shop already and they told me the same thing...after a couple years we could do some work. If it needs to be fine line work and I don't want any blurring it needs to be longer...up to six years, they said. I don't as much want to cover the scar as I do to put some ink there to memorialize the event. I'm leaning towards some sort of torn skin, biomechanical looking work that shows the bone and the plate.