PDA

View Full Version : winter projects

TitanTn
11-09-2011, 10:09 PM
So the Saltare is back in the basement for the winter and I've got a list of projects. I'm going to be repacking the rudder and pulling the engine to do some preventative work. Any tips for either project from someone who has tackled it before? I'm not concerned about doing either, but there's usually something that you wish you knew before you started because it'd save you time or frustration.

mr.jrc
11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
TitanTN, here is a good thread on removing the rudder and packing:
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/89-and-earlier-malibu-rudder-rebuild-r22

mr.jrc
11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
no sure why the hyperlink get's cut... here it is in text form:
themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/89-and-earlier-malibu-rudder-rebuild-r22

mr.jrc
11-10-2011, 01:07 PM
as far as removing the engine, it is pretty straight forward, remove water intake, uncouple the prop shaft, disconnect throttle cable and transmission cable. There is a wiring harness plug but usually a couple of wires that are not on the harness, plus you need to disconnect the battery ground and + cable to the starter motor.... that should do it. I removed my 454 by unbolting it from the stringers, taking the mounts and all. THe transmission comes too, as rear mounts are on the transmission. I would also recommend getting a spanner bar from harbor freight or central tractor, one that has a threaded rod through the center that lets you change the center of gravity from the hook to the engine rigging points. Removing the engine is not a huge job, you should be able to do it in an afternoon. The challenge is getting a hoist tall enough to clear the hull.. and roll the hull out. An overhead crane would be ideal. Good luck!

mr.jrc
11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
... forgot one big one, the exhaust hoses!

sybrmike
11-10-2011, 04:12 PM
There's also the fuel line, but it'll all be pretty evident once you start disconnecting everything.

Agreed, remove the engine/trans/mounts all as one assembly. I second the overhead crane option (but it was a lot of pulling on the hoist chain to get it high enough). Also depending on what you've got planned for the engine, I fabbed a cheap roll-around engine stand out of upright landscape timbers located to match the mount locations, some bracing, and set on top of furniture dollies - made working on it a breeze.

TitanTn
11-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys. I figured it would only take me about an hour to disconnect everything, but then I'm pulling the boat to a friends barn where he has a steel beam high in the ceiling. I have a chain hoist for pulling the motor. I'll drop it in the back of my truck and hoist it back out when I get home.

Mike - you have any pics of that furniture dolly contraption?

JRC - thanks for that link for the rudder. Very complete.

wotan2525
11-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys. I figured it would only take me about an hour to disconnect everything, but then I'm pulling the boat to a friends barn where he has a steel beam high in the ceiling. I have a chain hoist for pulling the motor. I'll drop it in the back of my truck and hoist it back out when I get home.

Mike - you have any pics of that furniture dolly contraption?

JRC - thanks for that link for the rudder. Very complete.

I dropped my engine straight onto a furniture dolly. It balanced decently on the oil pan and I could roll it around the garage without much effort.

jet
11-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Yep, 1-hr and 5 mins It took me by myself, engine and trans. Jet

sybrmike
11-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Sorry, no good pics of the entire roll-a-stand (I think it's still at my buddy's shop), but you can kinda see the uprights in these pics. Basically ~3'x4' piece of scrap 3/4" ply as a base with 4 landscape timber upright posts (screwed from the bottom) to match the mount locations. Then screwed an 8" skirt of 3/4" ply around the uprights for support. Screwed the whole thing on top of 3 Harbor Freight furniture dollies (although one wheel did spit a few ball bearings - that dressed 454 and trans probably runs 1000 lbs). 30 minutes and 30 bucks - easy access for manifolds, heads, paint, etc. & easy to keep out of the way of daily shop operations.

8219 8220

csuggs
11-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Titan -

My only suggestion would be that while you have it out, address any issues you may have on the lower end. Mine had a oil pan gasket leak that would not stop so when I had the motor out last year I change the pan gasket. This was also a good time to clean it up good and give it a fresh coat of paint. I borrowed an engine stand from a buddy so that I could roll the engine over as needed. That was my winter project last year!
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03106.jpg

Also I made a cradle from scrap wood as I had to load the motor in my truck to take it to the shop where we hoisted it into the boat. I used a chain hoist from Harbor Freight in my garage to get it in and out of my truck bed, and onto the engine stand.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03138.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03128.jpg

sybrmike
11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Do EXACTLY like Clint says - the results speak for themselves (gawd, that's a purty engine).

mr.jrc
11-14-2011, 09:08 PM
another idea for a 454 stand, qty 2: 2x8x32", qty 3 2x8x20" (only use one 20" board on the transmission side), qty 4 heavy duty wheels.

Jetlink
11-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Do EXACTLY like Clint says - the results speak for themselves (gawd, that's a purty engine).

I know, and looking at the pics he posted in the other thread Haugy has going about dog houses and such, makes me feel like I am not doing something right. Looks like you could eat off of Clint's bilge while eating off of mine would most likely be featured on an extreme eating show with that Zimmer guy.

TitanTn
11-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Even if I do exactly as Clint says, it won't come out exactly like Clints! I'm trying to be realistic with myself and am NOT setting a goal of having something that is perfect. I want to improve what it is currently, but if all I end up with is a great running engine that isn't as pretty as Clint's.... well I guess that's my lot in life.

csuggs
11-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I agree that a great running and functional boat is priority one. I just went for great looking as well because I could, call it OCD if you want! Regardless, you may as well clean it up a bit while you have it out.

TitanTn
11-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Oh, it's going to look better for sure. I'm just sure that people won't mistake our engines for each other's after I'm done.

Blackntan90
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Now I am truly inspired by these photo's! I was doing my exhuast this winter anyway, so I might as well polish my valve covers too! Man those look great with that silver block and heads, both of the motors look great- and I thought mine was pretty clean-oh well, now I truly have been inspired...

TitanTn
01-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, I've made a little progress. I have the rudder done and learned a lot about the various types of rudders and how to rebuild the kind I have. Since you can't find parts for it anymore, I'm going to make a separate thread about the rudder port rebuild. But for now, here are a few pics of where I'm at now.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/manifold_before.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/manifold_after.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/painted_engine.jpg

Okie Boarder
01-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Looking good. Did you replace the manifolds or just paint them up?

TitanTn
01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I just painted them. It looks like the former owner replaced them not too long ago. At least they don't have many hours on them and look to be in really good shape. The previous owner was a jack-leg in how he fixed things and these manifolds didn't have any gaskets on the heads. That's why I think he did it himself.

bens250ex
01-17-2012, 10:21 PM
what are you guys using to clean the engine up before painting?

TitanTn
01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
I used a scraper and a buffer/sander wheel on my drill. Then I wiped it down with acetone. Primer. Paint. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

csuggs
01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Yep - acetone works real well. That's what I used.
Titan - your motor is really looking nice! Can't wait to see it all put back together!
Clint

TitanTn
01-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks Clint. I've got it all back together and hope to have it back in the boat this weekend. If I can get it in, I'll update everyone with some new pics.

Hagman
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Very nice looking Motor. I should have taken more pictures when mine was out 7 years ago. Oven cleaner works good for heavy cleaning but it’s harsh on the paint & polished aluminum. Looking foreword to reading the rudder rebuild thread. Mine needs some attention . It will move about ½” side to side. When I had about 300 hrs I hit a sand bar and bent the rudder back about ½ “. The rudder and rudder box were replaced. I saved the old parts. I’m wondering if I could use the OME box with the replacement rudder . Just looking at rudders they look the same.