PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Launch 21v - fogging oil and catalytic converter

OnlyButter
11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Ok -getting some conflicting info on fogging oil. Got a 2011 Launch 21v with an Indmar Assault 325 MPI. I'm not sure if it has a catalytic converter on it. One Supra dealer I called told me I could see if there's a hose with an O2 sensor coming out of the exhaust manifold, and if I saw that then that's the catalytic converter (I think he was on the pipe). Another Supra dealer told me that I wouldn't be able to tell if I got a catalytic converter without taking the exhaust manifold off. So how do I tell?

Here's the deal. I already ran the boat in the lake last weekend with Sta-bill in the tank, trailered the boat while running, and for the LIFE OF ME I could not pull off the flame arrester to spray fogging oil in it (the flame arrester hose clamp was totally loose). It had a lot of play in it, but I could not pull it up and off (is there a trick??).

So now the boat's back at my house and the last thing I wanna do is take it to the lake again to add fogging oil.

Suggestions?

OnlyButter
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Just spoke with a guy from Indmar. He pulled up my engine serial number and says I do not have a cat system. He said I could either put it in the water again, remove and flame arrestor and fog it (if I can get it off that is...), or just pull the plugs in my garage and spray the oil in there and put the plugs back in.

Any comments to this?

Lauderdale Lakes Chicago
11-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Pull the plugs and fog the holes. I would still recommend looking in to why you are unable to remove flame arrestor. Shouldn't be "that" difficult.

rtpaxton2
11-13-2011, 02:51 AM
I had trouble getting my flame arrestor off this past weekend as well. I found that I had to completely remove the hose clamp, and use a flatblad screwdriver to pry under the lip of the flame arrestor. Be gentle with it though, it is some pretty tough rubber, but you dont want to tear it. You have to get the flame arrestor off of TWO lips on the engine. The hose clamp did not need to be super tight to keep it on the engine. One thing to watch out for, my boat has the exhaust port for the PCV attached to a piece of aluminum that is held in place by the hose clamp on the flame arrestor. It was not difficult to get it all back together, but a second set of hands really helped!

I hope this helps!