PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for engine hatch latches

haugy
11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Those of us lucky enough (ha!) to have the 454 know that you can't do squat to the engine since it's so big it nearly touches the lower engine hatch rest. I'm talking about the carpeted border that the engine hatch sits on.

I need to be able to remove that regularly for maintenance and repairs. But the wood is old and the original screw holes are shot to hell. I used L-brackets to hold it in place this summer, but would like to install something that can allow me to remove the hatch and rest easily.

Something like a gate latch that bolts under the floor and comes up on the rest, and another piece bolted to the rest itself that twists close (see pic)

http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/photo-m2/boat-stainless-steel-draw-latch-241510.jpg

Or maybe a draw latch like below. But I need to have some sort of L-bracket type so I can bolt it from underneath to the floor, and then have it come up and bolt to the wood of the frame work.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/hardware/catchesandlatches/00s5540s1.jpg

Oooh, maybe these would work. The rubber style draw latches. Hmmm.........flexible, can get different lengths, allows for imperfect mounting......I think we may have a winner.

http://www.spep.com/public/Webpictures/iStore/RubberPullLatches.jpg

Okie Boarder
11-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Have you looked at the way Correct Craft does it? I saw a couple interesting ideas on the late 90's and early 2000's CC's that allow for a pretty cool hinge and/ or quick release. Might be something to research a little more, as well.

sybrmike
11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Why not go latchless? I just finished building my new engine cover base and screwed in locating blocks on the interior corners. The blocks extend just below the engine cover base to catch the edges of the openings in the floor to lock the base into position. It's wedged in good & tight with no movement, but allows for simply lifting out of the way when needed. I'm also using hinges with removable pins to tie the base to the engine cover at the rear. So, I'll be able to tilt the cover back on the hinges, or pull the pins and lift the cover off of the base, and/or lift the base out for full access. I'm counting on the weight of the base and cover to hold everything down since it's all pretty heavy.

haugy
11-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Why not go latchless? I just finished building my new engine cover base and screwed in locating blocks on the interior corners. The blocks extend just below the engine cover base to catch the edges of the openings in the floor to lock the base into position. It's wedged in good & tight with no movement, but allows for simply lifting out of the way when needed. I'm also using hinges with removable pins to tie the base to the engine cover at the rear. So, I'll be able to tilt the cover back on the hinges, or pull the pins and lift the cover off of the base, and/or lift the base out for full access. I'm counting on the weight of the base and cover to hold everything down since it's all pretty heavy.

That's a good idea. Do you have pics of these wood blocks you're using? I have an idea, but would like to see what you've done. Do you have any problems with the base lifting when you tilt the engine hatch back? I like this idea, and would probably still put at least one rubber latch on the front just to make sure it's secure.

Where did you get the removable pin hinges for the engine hatch? I need those. I've got to drill all the way through my engine hatch and put stainless bolts through since the wood is so beat up from the originals.

wotan2525
11-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Do you have a west marine near you? They have an entire aisle of hinges and some of them are made to hinge and then quickly detach. I purchased some last year for this exact purpose but have not installed them since my wooden base is totally rotten, too.

csuggs
11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
It is very handy to be able to remove the entire doghouse along with the doghouse base - MUCH easier to service. Here's what we did . . . .

At the front of the engine, where the base meets the floor, we installed two stainless "L" brackets to the floor and there are two stainless straps mounted to the inside of the base that go over the vertical leg of the "L" bracket. This holds the front in place, but does not hold the base down - just gravity holds it down. In the first picture you can see where the base has "matted-down" the carpet just in front of the "L" brackets.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03156.jpg

At the back of the engine, there are what I call "Jeep" style rubber T-handle latches that are attached to the floor. The mating part of the latch is attached to the inside of the doghouse base. You can see the rubber latches if you look closely - they are up against the exhaust hoses in the picture. Works really well.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03155.jpg

sybrmike
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Here's a pic of the starboard back corner. Kinda hard to make out since I covered everything with carpet (but stealth was the idea here). I had to radius the bottom edge to clear the exhaust hose & still capture the corner of the floor. The port side was cut square since I had more clearance. For the front, I cut pieces to match the angled corners of the engine opening on the Saltare. Don't know if I'll have a problem with the base lifting while tilting the hatch, but don't think so since the base is wedged in pretty good & the traditional rear bench I'm building will prevent the cover from traveling much beyond vertical.

I got my hinges off of ebay, but like Wotan said - most marine stores should have them. I've got new wood, but will through bolt everything with backing plates as well to help it survive long term.

Blackntan90
11-15-2011, 09:00 PM
I did similar to what sybermike did, only I used aluminum 'L' brackets, and through-bolted 'em. Taking 4 bolts out to get the box off stinks. I like the idea of quick-release hinges alot! I was actually thinking of connecting the base to the rest of the dog house. I think I have seen one like that on a correct craft as well, it would certainly make for easier access. Maybe also a set of stainless gas struts to hold the cover at 3/4 or so open for quick checks, and remove them(and the entire dog house) when the need arises!

TitanTn
11-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Mine is not wedged or bolted at all. It never shifts while running, and when opening the base stays wherever it is. In fact, I like that fact that it has room to adjust. When the doghouse is on, I then slide the whole thing up to the base of the ski pole. This gives maximum room in the back. But I can't remove the doghouse this way. The pole is in the way. So when I need to, I slide the whole assembly back an inch or so and then lift the doghouse. The base doesn't rock up or slide when lifting the doghouse. It works really well.

haugy
11-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Blackntan, Brilliant idea!

Seeing as how most of the time I need side access I see me needing to move the lower section as much as the upper doghouse.

I'm thinking putting removable pin hinges at the back to make removing it entirely easy. And then one rubber t-handle to hold it down on the front right behind the ski-pylon so it's not noticeable. Then two liftgate gas struts (can get at any auto place) to help lift and hold it. Hmmmm. I wonder if that would be more of a pain. I typically just lift mine back, and it rests on the rear seats.

I think I'll just stick with something to hold it in place and down, and make my hinges strong at the back. Maybe a t-handle on the inside front to hold them together for moving it out of the boat.

csuggs
11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
If you guys put T-handle latches at the front, just be careful to locate them so that they cannot come in contact with belts or pulleys when un-latched. For instance, when you are running your motor with the doghouse off, you don't want the rubber handles to come in contact with moving parts! I think that's why we located mine at the rear.

Blackntan90
11-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Haugy, I open mine up onto the rear seats also, but if there are people back there the struts would be nice for a quick check. Oh, and thanks for the 'brilliant' comment- made my day!!

sybrmike
11-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Haugy,

Don't sweat the hinges - once you spin that 454 180 degrees & shove it up against the transom under a sundeck, you won't have a doghouse to worry about anymore ;)

jet
11-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I used these quick disconnects on the front of my engine cover, that way I could remove it when needed. Jet

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/203490639/Stainless_Steel_Hatch_Hinge.html