PDA

View Full Version : bummed

bens250ex
11-16-2011, 08:15 PM
pretty bummed out about a situation. My g/f and I are in college i will be graduating in May so this is my last year of school. My g/f decided to "foster" a dog through a program at school. I was a little leary about the ordeal since most of our apartments dont allow animals unless you fork out a ton of cash. Well i came home oneday about 3 months ago and walked in and surpries laying on the bed was this lil pup. She was very skiddish and wouldnt move at 5 weeks old. Weeks later we got her to warm up, she became a part of everything.

While in the first few weeks we had a chance to adopt her.
We talked about it and at that time felt it would be best to let her find a foster home. A few days later we found out she had been adopted. Mixed emotions about it mostly because the organization here doesnt provide much info as to where she would be going. All we know is she went north of here.

3 months later (last sat) we had to drop her off to be transported to her new owner. This past week has sucked everytime i come home it feels empty. If i could take it back i would adopt her no questions asked. i would do anything in my power to have her back. She turned into an amazing dog and was a bundle of joy to both me and my g/f. It has takin alot to try and block this out but hasnt worked well.

I really am not a "dog lover" but there was somethin special about her. It would ease my mind if i just knew where she went and how she is doing. I know this is a fat chance but the organization doesnt provide any info on anything and i know there is alot of people from all over on here and maybe oneday someone will recognize her from this post and give me a piece of mind. I really hate how it all went down and it has deff left me heart broken. I know some of you know how it feels after loosing a pet that has been part of your everyday life. We only had her a short amount of time but in that short amount we became very attached to her.

Maybe i can get this off my mind next week when i work on my boat over our thanksgiving break.

Here is a pic of her, her name was Lunabell, or Luna for short im going to miss this lil bat eared thing

chrisk
11-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah dogs can be special man, I think most of the time when dogs are adopted from shelters or other similar services they are generally going to a good home. That's where my family adopted our dog that we had for 16 years. Just gotta trust she's in a good place and having a great time. Repay the favor a little later in life and adopt your own dog to 'pay it forward' so to speak.

Where are you going to school at? I/we will obviously be keeping an eye out for Luna regardless.

bens250ex
11-16-2011, 10:29 PM
i go to Mississippi State University, i cant wait to get out and start working and see where i end up. I really want to move out of mississippi

chrisk
11-16-2011, 10:44 PM
I see, well I'm technically north of you in Missouri, so I'll definitely be looking, can't miss those awesome ears!

bens250ex
11-16-2011, 11:54 PM
deff can't i always said she had to be catchin all kinds of signals! lol

Salty87
11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
cute pup for sure

i ended up with a puppy when i was a junior in college. it was a pain finding apts or duplexes, no doubt about that. it was def more expensive but it was also worth it. (except for the a-hole landlords who keep your deposit despite the fact that you might leave the place cleaner than you found it but they do that when you don't have a dog sometimes too)

chris is right though. you have to assume that Luna went to a good home. she'll forget as she learns her new home. you need to move on.
usually, the best cure for losing a dog is to get another. the new pup will help you forget. dogs rock.

sybrmike
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
With the right dog & the right people - they definitely become part of the family. Sounds like you're the "right" kind of pet owner, so take comfort knowing you gave Luna a great start on life & the karma will be returned to you when the time is right. I was pretty tore up after losing my dogs of 14 and 16 years awhile back. Took me 6 months before I was ready again, but had the new pup for a year now & it's great having that wagging tail greet me every morning & evening. You'll find another...

bens250ex
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys for the uplifting words, both my g/f and i broke down last night talking about it. Im not a very emotional person and it takes something important to get me upset. My g/f is going to focus on improving the system here at school. My g/f is in school to be a vet tech so she has the connections to make some changes. The biggest thing that is on our mind is how she is doing, luna has a very special personality and an extremly good memory. When i saw her and my g/f it was like watching mother duck with her babies, and when mother duck would leave the baby would cry. This is what Luna did, annoying yea but she had this special connection with my g/f, and when she saw her again she would go insane and never acted this way with anyone else. This is what bothers us, we both want her to be just like she was here with us so the new owners get the "full" Luna.But since they provide no info on the pets after they leave it leaves your mind to wonder. Today my g/f has already sat down with a director who is going to try to make changes so that foster parents know where the pet went and how it is doing. That way it gives you a piece of mind. I really dont understand why they never did this in the first place. We are all humans and can all get attached. I know most people who foster only have the animal for a month or less but we got stuck with luna for a longer period because of several delays that kept her from going on the north bound trips sooner.

I know that getting another pet or so forth can ease your mind but after this experience i will need to take some time and clear my head. Going home in a few days will be the biggest relief. My stress is super high because of working 2 jobs while being a full time student and trying to make everyone happy. So it deff sucked that it had to happen at this time. Most of the stress comes from one of my jobs. Its retail and it sucks, i have worked in the retail industry for 5 years and cant stand it in the sense of the grocery store aspect. Last sat was the first day i have had off in a month between my two jobs. Its really driving me insane! and getting in the way of my boat restoration! lol

Salty your pic popped up in my head before you even responded! If anyone is ever looking to adopt a dog just let me know and i will set you up with the program if you are interested.

Thanks guys it has helped a ton to lay it out off my shoulders

wotan2525
11-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I spend too much time thinking about what I'm going to do when my asshole dog dies. He's my best friend and is constantly ruining my day by running off or destroying something (or the $5000 in vet bills he's cost me.) And I worry about not seeing him there when I get home and what I will do when that happens.

So I feel you on this. It's crazy how attached we can get to animals.

That being said -- you signed up being the foster this time. You knew you were going to eventually have to give up the dog. The good news is that the adoption agencies do a VERY thorough job making sure these will be placed with a good owner. I had an ex-girlfriend that had to have 3 home-visits to adopt a sheep dog, once. I'm sure it's gone to a good home. As far as you trying to stay in touch with the new parents -- let it go. They are now bonding with the dog in the same way that you did and there's no reason to try and get in between that. They're lucky to have found a dog to adopt that had been taken such good care of. You'll get to feel that same way soon enough when you find the next dog.

Okie Boarder
11-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry ot hear it man, but I agree with some of the comments already. Just know that the dog is probably in a good home.

bens250ex
11-19-2011, 09:04 PM
thanks guys, its gottin much better over the days. i will be heading home tomorrow so i am stoked and ready for the break from this routine at school!

daviddragon
11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I agree with Okie, they surely made sure that she has gone to good masters.

doofus
12-06-2011, 03:21 AM
I know how hard it can be giving up an animal once you have bonded with it. My daughter has tried fostering animals from welfare shelters several times, and after the torrent of tears and emotions when we had let go of a little kitten that was finally adopted, we are now the proud owners of two dogs and three cats, the majority of which were initially fostered, but which we then ended up adopting ourselves as we couldn't stand the thought of having to give them over to someone else......Animals always make for way better company than most people.....And my dog Sam loves being down at the lake sitting in the boat watching us all boarding....You couldnt ask for a better mate to be on the water with!

bens250ex
12-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I can deff see how you could end up with several animals while fostering. We finally got 2 pics and a lil update on her. So it was comforting knowing she made it to a home that is takin care of her. Still no idea where she is at but I believe she is around new Hampshire.