PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the engine

TitanTn
11-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Im about ready to lift my engine. But I'm a little confused. There is one lifting eye on the back right corner. I expected there to be a corresponding eye on the front left corner. No such luck. Are there supposed to be two lifting eyes? If not, what do you lift by?

sybrmike
11-16-2011, 09:40 PM
yup, there should be 2 lifting brackets on opposite corners of the intake. If not, local auto parts store will probably lend/rent you a bracket that comes with an engine hoist rental. They usually have an assortment - an adjustable spreader bar, a single point (like you're missing), or one that bolts on in place of the carb. Barring that, replace 2 intake bolts with longer ones & run them through some heavy duty washers to capture a chain link.

csuggs
11-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Mine only had one also. There should be threads for another on the opposite corner so just get another eye and screw it in - but be careful not to over tighten.

lively
11-16-2011, 11:42 PM
man just grab the chain and find a threaded hole on the head or the block , and through bolt the chain to the block .. just check your angle before you actually pull it out .. and use washers !!!

TitanTn
11-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to find another eye as I don't like any of the possible lift locations without using an eye. I just am surprised that it's missing one. I mean , if you're going to have one, you might as well have both of them.

wotan2525
11-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Mine only has one as well. I always just threaded in a longer bolt with a washer somewhere. Never a problem.

TitanTn
11-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Well, got it out today with no issues. On the front of the head there was bolt location that wasn't being used. The lift went well, as did my stand. I built a stand with some casters and everything looks good. Nothing but more work to do now!

sybrmike
11-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Good to hear - always a little nerve racking hoisting 1000 lbs outta there... Now if you can just get that Roots 671 to fit under the doghouse...

TitanTn
11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
That's just a minor fiberglass adjustment!

I will say that this is BIG motor. It doesn't look as big while it's in the boat. I'm going to have to strip off as much as I can just to maneuver it around like I want. As they say, there's no replacing cubic inches.

Jetlink
11-26-2011, 01:22 AM
As they say, there's no replacing cubic inches.

I believe the quote goes, "There is no replacement for displacement." But that was close enough...hahaha!