PDA

View Full Version : Rudders

bens250ex
11-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Did Supra use the same rudder for majority of there boats in the 80's?

sybrmike
11-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Pretty sure (although I'm no expert) they're the same across all models of that vintage - same rudder with packing gland. I think it was around early 90's that they started with the greased o-ring seals.

bens250ex
11-22-2011, 11:14 AM
so did the 80's have a grease fitting as well? mine has a grease fitting

sybrmike
11-22-2011, 02:12 PM
My bad, come to think of it - I do recall seeing a greased rudder on an 86 Sunsport before. Rebuilt with new o-rings matched up at auto parts store. Like I said, I'm no expert (plus, now my memory is failing) - so I'll just sit down & shut up now.

bens250ex
11-23-2011, 11:42 AM
hey i am no expert or anywhere close to it. I thought it used rope packing but after a lil research and your help i found it just uses the o-rings..which were just about gone so i dont know how i am going to match them up. I might be getting a whole new assembly from a guy on here because i might have messed mine up.

Blackntan90
11-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Man... that, man thats a hell of a paperweight.

bens250ex
11-26-2011, 12:28 PM
an exspensive paperweight.....

sybrmike
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I've got an expensive paper weight as well. I ended up cutting the rudder shaft to get mine out & felt like a doof after realizing it was just that the top of the shaft had a slight lip keeping it from dropping out. Fortunately (I guess) after it was out, I found that the shaft was too worn to be serviceable & a new one was gonna be needed anyway - at least I slept better knowing I hadn't screwed up a good rudder. Once I finish all the real work, I plan on polishing up the old rudder for a nice display piece / paper weight.

haugy
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
My spare rudder from a Comp matches my Saltare.

bens250ex
11-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I've got an expensive paper weight as well. I ended up cutting the rudder shaft to get mine out & felt like a doof after realizing it was just that the top of the shaft had a slight lip keeping it from dropping out. Fortunately (I guess) after it was out, I found that the shaft was too worn to be serviceable & a new one was gonna be needed anyway - at least I slept better knowing I hadn't screwed up a good rudder. Once I finish all the real work, I plan on polishing up the old rudder for a nice display piece / paper weight.

What are the specs used to tell if the rudder is worn to much?