PDA

View Full Version : Resto info Part 2: Gelcoat refinishing...

SupraComp
06-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok, Im back, thanks to all who have helped me so far. I cant say enough about Skiers Choice, how many large companies would take the time to speak with you on the phone about a boat that you bought almost 20 years ago from them, and still give you tech support, and their expert advice.

Now the gelcoat is very oxidized on this boat, it sat in North Carolina in the sun for 3 years uncovered and its Red/White. Im thinking about taking a D/A air sander to it with some wet paper...is this a good idea, and what grit paper do I use? Also, what is 3m's heaviest compound? Thanks in advance

Kyle

Salty87
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
the heaviest compound i've seen from 3m is Marine Super Duty Rubbing Compound, i used it on my boat and it did great. check the pride and joy section, i think, for a thread about 'time for the stripes to come off' or something. i posted that a while ago, before and after's i did on my gelcoat.

3m might have something stronger, big company. wet sanding is an option if the compound doesn't do it. depends on your hull though. start with 2000 or 1500 and see if that works, i'd try the compound first of course.

got pics?

SupraComp
06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah I think I am going to need the 1500 maybe even 1200. Its real bad. I have a camera full of pics of the floor removal and gelcoat I will post when I get the photo cd

Juice75
06-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I used the 3m Marine Compound with a buffer on my boat too, and it worked great! I wouldn't recommend using a D/A to wet sand. It's too easy to dig in with the edges, causing swirl marks. Also, since your boat is older (like mine), the gelcoat could be a little thin in some places. If you sand by hand, you'll notice a lot quicker if you sand through the gelcoat, and you can minimize the damage. You probably know this, but make sure you follow up the compound with a good polish. I used the 3m Marine polish/wax, and it worked like a charm.

I've wetsanded plenty of cars, and learned a lot of lessons the hard way.

Here's a link with a pic of my Comp after compound and buffing. It was in pretty bad shape too. I don't think the previous owners ever put a cover on it.

http://www.supraboats.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=865

DKJBama92Mariah
06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I fought the buffing battle for about 4 years. I used the 3M rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then a couple coats of 3M marine wax. I finally gave up and just got the boat painted. It was only $700 to repaint all the red parts of mine with an acrylic paint with 3 coats of clearcoat. I got replacement decals cut at a local sign shop for $350. The guy at the paint shop said that if cared for properly, i.e., waxed twice a season, it should last at least 10-12 years. It came out looking great. Here's a link to my post in the pride & joy section. http://supraboats.com/msgboard/read.php?TID=526

Cheers and happy buffing,
DKJ

shredder
07-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Juice75

I used the 3m Marine Compound with a buffer on my boat too, and it worked great! I wouldn't recommend using a D/A to wet sand. It's too easy to dig in with the edges, causing swirl marks. Also, since your boat is older (like mine), the gelcoat could be a little thin in some places. If you sand by hand, you'll notice a lot quicker if you sand through the gelcoat, and you can minimize the damage. You probably know this, but make sure you follow up the compound with a good polish. I used the 3m Marine polish/wax, and it worked like a charm.

I've wetsanded plenty of cars, and learned a lot of lessons the hard way.

Here's a link with a pic of my Comp after compound and buffing. It was in pretty bad shape too. I don't think the previous owners ever put a cover on it.

http://www.supraboats.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=865

Hey Juice! I have have the same color scheme on a 88 comp! I have just started workin on the hull last night with a buffer(turtle waxer) and a heavy compound, so far the results are going good and the oxy is coming off, still some remaining after a first pass. How many passes did you do with compound before starting with wax? Was the marine polish/wax what you used first or after a compound?

Looks Awesome,
Shred

Juice75
07-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey Shredder - thanks for the props. When I buffed out my boat, I used the compound first to get rid of the oxidation, then followed up with the wax/polish to get it to shine! Most of the boat only took one pass with the compound, but there were a couple of spots on the bow that took a little more work. Just keep going over it and checking frequently to make sure you're not going through the gel coat.

Good luck and post some pics when you're done. I just love that color scheme!

Juice75

1988comp
10-05-2005, 11:56 PM
I got perfect results with

2000 sand paper, use lots of SOAPY water
Red rubbing compound (red label)
White poilishing compound (green label)
Meguires cleaner wax
meguires yellow wax

and it will look new, don't be afraid to get after it with the sand paper, you can't hurt it. don't start compounding until the sanding is really finished, sand it down good for best results.