Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 88 dilemma

Default My 88 dilemma

I have an 88 pirata and I thought that this winter in would replace the interior but when I removed the interior I found some soft spots in the floor so I figured I would ask here and see if this boat is worth the effort , it sure is a great boat out on the water , it feels like driving a big couch around the lake ,lots of room
    and lots of power
    My concern is how far do I go at this point it sure looks like a lot of work and is a 23 year old boat worth the time and effort I haven't seen too many piratas on here
    If I do take on the task. Do I really need to pull the engine out or can I pull the cap off and see what's under the floor with the engine still in place ,I just rebuilt it last year and when we pulled it everything seemed dry and tight ,as far as the stringers in the engine compartment
    I will try and put some pics with this post but it's my first time posting and I've already lost everything twice
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can share with me about my boat
    88pirata
    Last edited by 88pirata; 12-02-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Default some pics of the problem

here are some qwik shots to give you and idea
    Attached Images Attached Images

That floor looks rough man, how are the stringers away from the engine? You said the engine area was solid last year when you did the rebuild on your engine right?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I haven't pulled up the floor to see, when I re mounted the engine the stringers seemed pretty tight and I've noticed that the soft spots are only in those 2 spots ,1 under the rear seat and the other where the step is .

Hey bud , take your tank out and check the floor there also , the (5200) seal that supra used on the supertrapp tips tends to let water I'n , so first I would take your center nut off the tips and inspect the flange that mounts on the transom , there never really was a seal it's just a rubber coating that the pipe slips into and hopefully seals it up lol ... If the motor lags will still tighten up you might be lucky and only have to replace the rear section , but u won't find out till u cut it out with a skill saw and pop some holes into the stringers and test for rot .. , my 86 sunsport held water all the way to the bow .. And I found out later that the exhaust tips and the swim platform mounting were the main cause ,... I would think if you only have to do the rear section it would run you around 1k if u were to install new tips and glass new wood and carpet and seal the platform up ... Good luck and shoot some pics of the foam under the deck and if the tips .. -lively-

If YOU like the boat and want to use it for several years, then it's absolutely worth it.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Well I got the gas tank out and it appears someone has been here before,and didn't do a very good job of whatever it was they were trying to do. I have also removed one side of the floor and started to remove all the foam,which seemed like a good idea until I got to the bottom couple of inches,which was totally water logged.
    I will post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get them from my iPad to this forum?
    Anyone know how that's done?

Nothing is better than saving another Pirata from death. Not many of these big boats out there so treat her well.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by 88pirata View Post
    I will post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get them from my iPad to this forum?
    Anyone know how that's done?
    Upload them to a service like Photobucket. You can then get a URL for each image you upload. You then create a link here to the image using the insert image tool above. It looks like a tree.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Well I like my '89 pirata pretty well and haven't had it on the water yet.