Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

What do you tow with? I always picture France with only small cars. Obviously that's not the only choice, but I'm just curious as to the towing options you do have.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

To Bring back the boat to home I used my company's truck, it's a 2010 VW Crafter, TDI 136hp. Enough for towing, but I seriously doubt it can pull out the boat from water.
    I had 2 jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ v8 to towe my last boats. They were both LPG equipped. I will look at one other if I burn the Crafter's clutch.

Most of towing cars here in France are big turbo diesel sedan, like BMW, Mercedes, small and big 4x4. Pickup are not popular here, comes with small anemic diesel engines and are expensive.

I'm definetly not born in the good country
    Last edited by Sdc77; 12-03-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Yes, forgive my poor English.
    I was looking at the fuel consumption. I gave you the speed and rpm to see if your 6-7 GPH is because of different propeller than mine.
    I bought this boat because it's been 3 years i'm wakeboarding behind a friend's Mastercraft X35 (of 2009) with 8.2L 450hp engine. He wants to sell it this winter, so I looked for an as roomy and confortable boat, for 8-10 people with good wake. The X35 3 tons monster drinks 35L/h. It ran 31km/h @ 2800rpm.
    I hope my Saltare will burn less fuel. Here 1L of unleaded 95 octane (RON 95, MON 85) fuel (E10, 10% ethanol) is 1.48€

I will calculate it next season, but if it's over 25LPH, I will think about swaping the 454 for a 350 ... We (my friends and I) do 100 hours per year of wakeboarding, so I really need an efficient boat. I don't plan to ballast it, or maybe to clean the wake (with iron cast pieces), but we often are 7-8 people onboard and the actual wake seems cool for us.

What wakeboard tower model do you have on yours ?
    The x35 is a monster and the 8.1 (496)a beast on gas but it is multi port fuel injected. Your 454 is smaller (7.4) but carburated and less efficient. Your boat is lighter I believe so I would guess its going to use a little less LPH but not much. I bet your going to see 28-30LPH at best but it all depends on ballast and I hope I'm wrong and you do see less than 25.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Ok we'll see. I will start to ride it arround April, so I have time to worry about fuel consumption
    I plan to put it out of water tomorrow, wash and winterize it. I will take many pics of it to share here.
    Good weekend to everyone

Stephane
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Oh by the way.....welcome to the forum
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Thanks Doug

One question : Does anyone entirely remove the fixed plate flap and see any difference in the wake size ?

IMG_1719.jpg
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I would leave it on, just adjust it upwads a bit.

But on a different note, good god is that trailer sketchy. I get uneasy when my comp is a few inches unloaded......

Quote Originally Posted by Dtha View Post
    I would leave it on, just adjust it upwads a bit.

But on a different note, good god is that trailer sketchy. I get uneasy when my comp is a few inches unloaded......
    Looks like the trailer was cut where we would normally see a prop and rudder guard.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

No prop guard on any model of trailer here. Don't worry, it's really like that we tow boats in France. Every trailer look like that. With a removable light ramp instead of prop guard.
    I agree it looks awful, but it's solid and stable. Even a brand new boat will be sold with this kind of trailer.
    Take a look on this link :

http://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/248800553.htm?ca=12_s
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Obviously what you say is true, but why is it this way? What is the reasoning for not supporting the last couple feet of the boat? Is it different for a stern drive boat? I could see someone making an arguement for a center mounted engine, but in a v drive or stern drive, this is where all you weight is. Just curious about the purpose of a shortie trailer.
    Last edited by TitanTn; 12-05-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: iPad autocorrectness is not always correct

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839