Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Default Supra Saltare in France

Hello everybody !

I'm a happy new owner of a 1989 SALTARE, the unique piece here in France ! I got it last weekend and tested it in water 2 days ago (10°C outside, 5°C in water ...)
    It comes with the 454ci, has 292 hours, is in good overall condition.
    I just need to clean the vinyl, carpet and polish the hull.

I need also to check/change to steering cable, it's very hard to turn even when the boat is stopped. I will rebuild the wood floor hatch beind the engine box, it start to be flexible. I will use PVC for this part. Floors and stringers looks perfect even arround the engine bolts.

The boat will be mainly used for wakeboarding. I plan to put on it a Monster MT2 tower with racks and mirror. A complete BOSS audio marine hifi : head unit, 4x 6"½ round speakers in the boat, 4x 6"x9" oval speakers on tower in a home made box, a subwoofer in enclosure.
    If I have more money, I plan to wrap it ...

I will also do some mods on the trailer as here in France, trailers looks horrific !

Here are few pisc of that monster, I will post many others as soon as I start to work on it :

01.jpgIMG_1004.jpgIMG_1724.jpgIMG_1760.jpg

Stephane
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Congrats! The boat looks beautfiul. Welcome to the site!

That trailer is at least 4' too short. I think it might be reasonable to assume that the axles are too light for that boat?? It's a heavy beast!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

That's how every boat trailers look like here in France. It's the good one for this boat. But in fact it looks too short, because we use a removable light ramp instead of longer trailer with integrated lights. We don't have here painted trailers, chrome wheel, led lights, disc brakes etc. It's forbiden !!! We are just 30 years in late comparring US
    Anyway this trailer is ok for this boat, rating 2700kg, it's stable @ 130km/h so no problem. It's just uggly and I plan to customize it : 15" tunning wheel, new painted fender, integrated lights and maybe a new paint.

What is your fuel consumption with this boat ? Mine is going 1900rpm @ 31km/h

Cheers
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I think we've got a language issue -- fuel consumption here is how many gallons that I use? I think I'm right around 6-7/hour for wakeboarding. Slightly less for surfing.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Yes, forgive my poor English.
    I was looking at the fuel consumption. I gave you the speed and rpm to see if your 6-7 GPH is because of different propeller than mine.
    I bought this boat because it's been 3 years i'm wakeboarding behind a friend's Mastercraft X35 (of 2009) with 8.2L 450hp engine. He wants to sell it this winter, so I looked for an as roomy and confortable boat, for 8-10 people with good wake. The X35 3 tons monster drinks 35L/h. It ran 31km/h @ 2800rpm.
    I hope my Saltare will burn less fuel. Here 1L of unleaded 95 octane (RON 95, MON 85) fuel (E10, 10% ethanol) is 1.48€

I will calculate it next season, but if it's over 25LPH, I will think about swaping the 454 for a 350 ... We (my friends and I) do 100 hours per year of wakeboarding, so I really need an efficient boat. I don't plan to ballast it, or maybe to clean the wake (with iron cast pieces), but we often are 7-8 people onboard and the actual wake seems cool for us.

What wakeboard tower model do you have on yours ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Nice ride
    1.48€ is that euros

I have found that in a boat the larger engines can somtimes be more efficiant as they not working as hard.
    You will probably end up using close to the same amount of fuel. It takes the same amout of energy to move your boat a given speed at a given load regardless of how its powerd.

By the way if you ditch the bb Im sure somone would take all that old junky stuff off of you hads.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

Yes, 1.48€ is 1.48 euros for 1L. Means 8 USD per gallon.
    That's also why 454 are not popular in France.

Yes I understand that fact that boats are completly different than cars wich need very few gas to keep high speed. The more speed and load, the more fuel you burn on water. To keep same perf with a 350, I will need a smaller pitch propeller, then more RPM, then more fuel ...

Is there a way to make the 454 more efficient ? It already has an electronic ignition with high perf wires. I read that holley carbs are hard to rebuild and tune, and Edelbrock are easier and use less gas. Is that a fact ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    I read that holley carbs are hard to rebuild and tune, and Edelbrock are easier and use less gas. Is that a fact ?
    Probably comparing apples to oranges here as I have a comp and therefore not a 454 but, I did swap my carb this summer from the Holley to an Edelbrock and I appear to be using less gas than I was with the Holley. I did not change anything else either. Take it for what it is worth but my gas usage did go down slightly.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I personaly prefer hollys(years of drag racing)mostly because I am use to them.

For day to day driving and drivablity most prefer the edelbrock as they tend to be less finiky about air temp and humidity.

Somthing that may help is if you can get a quadrajet they where used on mercruiser for decades even a 325hp BB chevy.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

Thanks guys for your advise. The Edelbrock will be THE option when the Holley will strat need rebuilding.
    But it's not for now. It's time now for ugrading this beast with a tower, soundi system, and winterizing.

Cheers
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare