Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Hey guys, I started the engine yesterday on the hose garden. Starts at first rotation, but it tends to overheat. Reading 180 190 degrees on the gauge. I just change the raw water impeller and gasket.
    So I'm looking for a new thermostat now. It seems to be a rare part, isn't it ? Couldn't find one with same looking at skidim.
    Does anyone know where to buy it or a replacement part ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Default Supra Saltare in France

Did you install the raw water pump correctly? If installed backwards, the pump will attempt to flow water the opposite direction and can cause an overheat situation. Before spending any money, I'd make sure you installed the pump correctly.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Yes, I took photo before I remove it, it's mounted exactly the same way it was before.
    On other thing, exhaust were cold after 30min running and hoses close to the thermostat housing were very hot.
    I think about 3 things : to much rust in the engine, or thermostat, or engine water pump.
    Any advise ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

The thermostat is a good guess, and worth replacing if you don't know its age. Skidim should have the right one, I bought mine there. I will agree that it's not always easy to find exactly what you need just by using their web site though. You should try sending them an email with your specs and I'm sure they'll have what you need.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

agree with jetlink but it's probably the hoses that are connected backwards. did you remove both of the 2" hoses at the bottom? they have to go back on the same sides they were originally. i'd try swapping them real quick.

did you remove the wakeplate for the leds? have you taken her out without the plate yet? i'm curious to hear if it handled much differently that just having it set all the way up.

Thanks guys for advises, but really the pump is connected as it was last year ! At the beggining of the last season, the engine stays arround 160°, but at the end of the season, it tends to overheat at idle only, but when I give some gas arround 1200rpm, then no more overheat.

Yesterday when I start the engine, same phenomenon : Tends to overheat at idle, and colder over 1200rpm, but more than 160° yet. That's why I'm looking first for the thermostat issue.

Salty, the first time we tryed the boat, the wake plate was in place. The wake was splashing, small and looked like a stern drive's wake. Then I remove it, replace by an aluminium plate not longer than the boat and tryed it again. No possible comparison : the wake is no more splashing and definitly bigger with a nice shape (close the the Mastercraft X35, but smaller ...). As connectors where still in place, I remove it to put the led's wire through the holes.

I will send an email to skidim, there is a number on my thermostat, maybe it will help to find the good one. And yes, it looks old, so it's safer to change it
    Last edited by Sdc77; 04-28-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

If your temp comes down with an increase in throttle, I wonder if the impeller itself is starting to fail due to being worn.

Jetlink, the impeller is brand new, I just change it. Do you mean the circulation pump ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Are you running it out of the water and using a hose?

On the hose garden. So, cold water with pressure
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare