Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Default Supra Saltare in France

I can never seem to get my thermostat reading to get even close let alone greater than 150-160 degrees Fahrenheit when I run on the hose. I guess the easy fix here is a new thermostat and go from there.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I'd try the thermostat like the others suggested. Also, were all of the blades of the old water pump impeller intact when you replaced it? Could it be impeller parts or other debris in the hoses?
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Simple test:

Take the thermostat out. And put it all back together. It won't hurt the engine at all. In fact, seeing as we only drive these in warm weather you really don't need one. All it's doing is helping the engine maintain a constant temperature.

But to test if it's the thermostat or not, remove it. Open the housing, pull out the t-stat, put the housing back together. Then hook up your garden hose and start it up. If it runs perfectly cool, you know it's the t-stat.

Mike, the old impeller was in good shape, only the blades took the form of the pump, but no debris inside.

Haugy, that's exactly what I was thinking to do. Then if it's still hot, the only other thing I see is rust in the coolant system of the engine block (I had this problem on my 5.0L TBi 1989 Camaro, rear cylinders were not cooled because of this).

I'm trying to clean and save the old T-stat (it's in coca cola + cillit bang), as I find the replacement part on the net, the s-stat reference is R026003, it costs 134$

Next news in two weeks, I'm going to hollydays with my GF in Italy.

Thanks to every one for your help
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Yikes! That t-stat here in the US is about $6.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

wotan, are you sure about that ? I didn't find this t-stat here in france, only on US website, cheapest is here :
    https://www.marinepartssource.com/ne...at with Gasket

If you have another place to buy it, let me know
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I don't know if it's the same thermostat as mine, but I know mine was the $60 dollar-ish variety. I could change out the housing and start using the cheaper one, but that's not cheap either.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Isn't this a 454? Mine just uses a regular auto thermostat. Gates 33006S is the 160F version. http://www.amazon.com/Gates-33006S-T.../dp/B000Q0WZJS

I think this is the same part number for the Ford engines, too.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Mine is a 454, and I assume his is too. If I remember correctly it depends on who did the marinization and what year they did that work. They used different thermostat housing at different times and unfortunately mine is one that requires a non-automotive style thermostat.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

don't know why but the 454 thermostat in mine is very hard to find online. it used to be part #0701 from Skidim but it's not showing on their site. they don't show any thermostat for PCM 454. i'd shoot them an email.

this is what mine looks like