Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Reason is simple : All our trailers are universal. We don't have dedicated trailer to each boat. A trailer is made for maximum indicated weight and average lenght. For exemple, my trailer is made for 2500kg boat from 5m to 7m. Means a 5m boat will look like to small for that trailer, 6m will look perfect and 7m too long.
    Anyway you focus on a real problem here in Europe : Trailers are 30 years in late comparing USA. And it will not change till many years IMO.

I went back from the boat, I visit it because alot of rain last night. I started it, ok it fires after 2 tries. It runs good at idle, but takes a very long time before I can rise RPM. When I accelerate, the engine clogged.
    Problem of choke ? It's an electrical choke on my carburetor
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I see. I guess it's a good universal solution, but as you say, Europe has some catching up to do.

So it's taking a long time to warm up? If you've let the engine get warm, it likely is not the choke, but the carb itself. Has it been sitting for any length of time? Was it winterized? It's not uncommon for these carbs to need a rebuild every few years or so. You might be due.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

After warm up, it takes rpm, but I find the warm up time long (about 15-20min). Maybe I still have in mind the MPI engine of the X35 and it's easy start.
    I don't know if it has been winterized or not, in good way or not. I only know that the engine was full of antifreeze when I visit it the first time. As soon as I put it out of water I will open the carb and check it.
    Thanks for your help
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

My edelbrock carb uses significantly less fuel than the holley that was originally on there. Performance seems comparable.

If you're looking to only wakeboard, repitching the prop will save you a lot of fuel but will cut your maximum speed dramatically. It's a trade-off that you would have to make and it sounds like it would be worthwhile.

The boat shouldn't be any harder to start than a fuel-injected model. Mine starts just as easy and quickly as all of my friends newer boats.... unless it floods which will leave me sitting for 10 minutes trying to patiently allow the fuel to evaporate. Obviously, FI boats don't have this problem.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Hi Wotan,
    My engine starts easyly, but if I try to accelerate before 15-20min, it clogged. Maybe the electrical choke is dead and locked in open position ? I will check it next time.

What is your Edelbrock model ? Does it fit directly on the intake manifold or is there some mods to do ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Hi Wotan,
    My engine starts easyly, but if I try to accelerate before 15-20min, it clogged. Maybe the electrical choke is dead and locked in open position ? I will check it next time.

What is your Edelbrock model ? Does it fit directly on the intake manifold or is there some mods to do ?
    When you advance the throttle, are you applying smooth increase or opening it rapidly? Does it stumble coming off idle such as bogging down and then take off? If so, it could either be fuel related or spark related. When I first got my boat, it would stumble coming off idle. Did a tune up and found that the plugs were gapped incorrectly and the timing was way off. As for the carb swap, mine was pretty straight forward, no mods needed other than to adjust the throttle linkage to the carb. Hope that helps.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Hi Ben,
    No, it stumble coming off idle and doesn't want to do something else before it's warm. I tried smooth and rapid opening. Like too much something (fuel or air). But when it's warm, it runs perfect. Quick answer, good idle (500rpm) smooth and no vibration. I'll try do take a video next time I fire it.

I use unleaded 95 E10 fuel, as it's almost the only choice I have. Maybe it doesn't like it ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    Hi Ben,
    No, it stumble coming off idle and doesn't want to do something else before it's warm. I tried smooth and rapid opening. Like too much something (fuel or air). But when it's warm, it runs perfect. Quick answer, good idle (500rpm) smooth and no vibration. I'll try do take a video next time I fire it.

I use unleaded 95 E10 fuel, as it's almost the only choice I have. Maybe it doesn't like it ?
    95 ocatane is higher than I can even get here in the states so I doubt that is the culprit. Do me a favor, next time you have it out, open the dog house, take the air cleaner off and take a peak into the carb. Check to see if there is any fuel that is pooling in there. If so, time for a carb rebuild I would imagine. I would also check the plugs to make sure they are all clean. Video will help tremendously. Check out Cadunkle, he has a video of his Saltaire out on the water with a slight engine issue that he is talking about in the video.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Do me a favor, next time you have it out, open the dog house, take the air cleaner off and take a peak into the carb
    I will.

Really appreciate everybody's help here.
    "Le rêve Américain"
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Welcome to the forum man, and that's a great looking Saltare. Tres bien!!

Everyone is pointing the right direction on your engine not being able to rev up unless really warmed up. You may be dumping too much fuel, running rich. When it runs, does it smell like pure raw gas from the exhaust? If so, that and your choke may need to be adjusted would cause this problem to happen.

If your engine is running rich, it's pumping too much fuel into the carb. It won't affect it much when it's warmed up because the choke is full open. But if your choke needs to be adjusted to open earlier, or isn't opening electronically at all, that will definitely cause your problem.

When you look for fuel in the bowls, check your choke. It should be electronic. Turn the key, and watch the choke open. It should go from closed to open in 2-3 minutes. 5 at the most. If it takes too long to open, and you're running rich, those two combined can kill a motor till it warms up. Nothing really wrong, just stuff needs to be adjusted.

Keep us posted!