Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default reverse not working on '86 351 PCM

Anyone have this problem before? Forward works fine, but when I try reverse...nothing. I disconnected the drive cable and tried to engage manually. It locks in position fine, but nothing happens.

let me guess ? 10/17/100 velvet drive 71c ? reverse clutchs tend to break in these ... also the shifter valve can cause this ... smell your fluid ? if it smells burnt then more than likely its time for a rebuild .. kit is 156.00 on ebay .. (master) ... mine did the same thing i have a 86 sunsport .... i have the manuals if you want them shoot me a email [email protected]

Lively, wouldn't there be some sort of noise if there is a transmission failure? I don't really know too much about them, just wondering?

rlhahn, where are you at in Missouri? I'm going to school at Mizzou

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    Lively, wouldn't there be some sort of noise if there is a transmission failure? I don't really know too much about them, just wondering?

rlhahn, where are you at in Missouri? I'm going to school at Mizzou
    I'm on the edge of Foristell and New Melle. About 5 min from Lake Sherwood.

Cool, nice area down there. My girlfriend's from the Lake St. Louis area and I've vacationed with her family to the Bull Shoals and Eminence areas so I've kinda driven through there a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    Cool, nice area down there. My girlfriend's from the Lake St. Louis area and I've vacationed with her family to the Bull Shoals and Eminence areas so I've kinda driven through there a few times.
    right-on. my buddy lives on lstl. we go boarding out there every sunday morning around 6am. bull shoals is the best place in mo to ride i think...just wish i was a little closer.

Usually it will just stay quiet , at least mine did ... Im trying to find the manuals , if u need them now do a search on here that's where I think I found mine

check this out 71c and 72c manual:
    http://l-36.com/read_pdf.php?file=ma...on%20Manual%27
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

arrghh! link cut short again, 2nd try, you'll have to paste these two lines together:
    http://l-36.com/read_pdf.php?file=manuals
    /Borg-Warner-71C-72C-Transmission-Manual&title=%27Borg-Warner%2071C-72C%20Transmission%20Manual%27
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

reverse clutches...just make sure you mark pump,the pump is for either rotation motors.i put mine in wrong spot when i installed my clutches and had nothing,easy fix put had to remove tranny again.so make sure you mark it before you remove it