Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Trailer Tires---Any suggestions on NEW ones.

anyone have any insight on buying new trailer tires, should I stay with the Goodyear Marathon tires or switch over to the Towmaster Tires.
    where I live the Towmaster are more readily available and a little cheaper.
    Anyone have any problems with either one.
    Thanks for the insight.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Safe Holidays.

I'd go towmaster but I've never been a Goodyear fan.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Either one is fine - but go with Towmaster in your case. My $.02
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

GO WITH A RADIAL TIRE!!! IMO trailer tires are to soft and not tuff enough. In one year 2-of my friends lost 5-trailer tires. If that many tires blow up that is sending me a signal. They heat up..build up tire pressure and BLOW UP!! They arent tuff enough. I have never seen one just go down and loose air, I HAVE ONLY SEEN THEM BLOW UP AND DISINTEGRATE like a gernade. I have had radials on mine for years with ZERO flats and ZERO problems. Just drop the tire pressure down about 8-10 psi (cold) below the max tire pressure so when they build up heat it will not rise above the there max psi. You will hear other opinions like "stick with trailer tires only" "trailer tires are made for trailers" If they BLOW-UP just rolling down the freeway in a straight line then they arent strong enough for the job, thats how I see it. A good high performance radial will do the job well. Jet
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I won't comment on Jets opinions but I can tell you that Goodyear has a horrible reputation when it comes to trailer tires. Everyone I've known that's ever had them has suffered severe blow-outs.

For that reason alone, I'd go with the towmasters. Cheaper, too? Done deal.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

GoodYear Marathons are terrible!!! I up-sized my rims so I could run 10 ply (load E) 16" Michelin truck tires. Have had no problems since. A little more $$$ but I'm not changing tires when I could be on the lake.
    2006 LAUNCH 21V

HARDCORE HYDROFOILING

Yeah I got new tires this year, I looked at Goodyears, but Wal-mart said 'NO WARRANTY ON TRAILER TIRES'. That made me run! I got Carlisle 'Sure Trail's at Mr. tire WITH a warranty, and so far am very happy with them. BTW my trailer had radial car tires on it when I got it second hand a few years back, but they dry-rottted very quickly in my opinion.

One thing to keep in mind is that a "trailer tire" has a heavier (or stronger) sidewall than a passenger car tire, which is important IF you have a tandem axle trailer. I agree that a radial tire is probably better than a bias-ply, and I'm quite sure that the tires I have are radial "trailer" tires, I just don't remember the brand. No problems . . . .
    BTW - I do recall hearing of some problems with Goodyear Marathon's, but I have a set on my utility trailer (single axle) and have never had a problem.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Thanks for all the info on tires----------Costco has Towmaster Tires, So I will go with that.

Thank You

In the four years I've had my Supra I've had 4 (maybe even 5, can't remember) Marathon blowouts. A couple were new a couple were the originals that were on the trailer when I bought the boat. I've since switched to Greenball and have had a terrific experience with them. By terrific I mean I haven't had to think about them at all.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV