Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '86 Rider vs Rider XL vs SunSport - whats the diff?

Hey guys, I have a '86 Rider XL with a 454, and I have been searching around looking for info on this 'Rider XL' model Supra, and I can't find much on it. I had a 85 SunSport, a long time ago, but this Rider XL is a bit different with large bow rails, odd windshield frame, and a big block. As well, the whole hull is solid color. Is that the only difference? Is 'Rider XL' just a type of SunSport? or a different boat model all together. I mean, it looks pretty much the same.

A quick search of this forum revealed a lot of posts with people referring to the Rider as the model, but I didn't see any XL...

Appreciate any info.
    1986 Rider XL

I for one would love to see some pics of your XL.

These two photos are of the Rider XL 454 as it was after I replaced the stringers and floor -rear of the engine. The floor was so-so at best but I was in a hurry to get it on the water for summer. The stringers under the engine had been replaced before I got it, so I decided to do the back first, then the front in the fall. IMG00031.jpgIMG02417.jpg

I reinforced the front floor and replaced the decking under the cooler, but did not go into the front stringers at that point. The other pic is the rear stringer replacement. In the back, I opted to remove the stock foam and replace it with sand; same under the ice chest where the bilge starts. I decided to stop the bilge, and separate the sand with a little wall. IMG02292.jpgIMG02291.jpg

IMG02296.jpg
    1986 Rider XL

I just did the front stringers and the rest of the floor, here are some more pics. 2012-01-03_15-01-57_182.jpg2012-01-03_15-02-21_624.jpg

This weekend I painted the engine and changed the front port seat to a bench. I have multiple batteries and amps in that front port side, so I decided to cut out the fiberglass around the battery and glove box to give better access. 2012-01-02_14-46-58_995.jpg
    1986 Rider XL

Ya I cut the windshield arms off and used the wood trim on top to cover the fiberglass. I started to wet sand the back i got the transom and a couple feet up both sides before i gave up and just buffed it. The RPM is around 4K at about 42 mph, but i put a new style 3 blade prop on it so it jumps on plane really quick.
    1986 Rider XL

While researching this boat my gf ran across another 86 supra sunsport skier on clist that was a total survivor, cream puff condition, one owner, always garaged and covered, super new trailer, a clean boat that needed floor and stringers, so I bought it today. So now the question of whether there is a difference in the hull? What should I look at first? 2012-01-07_15-26-04_733.jpg2012-01-07_15-26-35_747.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1986 Rider XL

Funny this SunSport has the windshield arms, but not the front rails. 2012-01-07_13-41-58_865 copy.jpg
    1986 Rider XL

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I am curious if you ever found a difference in the Rider and Sunsport (skier) hull?

Quote Originally Posted by zroe View Post
    Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I am curious if you ever found a difference in the Rider and Sunsport (skier) hull?
    I would guess about two feet in length and then the windshield is slightly different initially.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski