Thread: vertglas

Default vertglas

Well I tryed the vertglas on my boat last season... Mine was oxidized on the top of the blue where the water line is. And bad on the back where the supra logo is.. I got all of it off and used the sealer. It looked GREAT!! But over the months it started to chip away in spots and looked like crap! SO next season I will have to remove all of the sealer and redo it all.. I would rate vertglas a 5.. If it did not chip I would have gave it a 10.... Bad thing about it I keep it in a garage and wipe it off EVERY time I pull out....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve been hoping someone would right in with some experience with fiberglass restoring products. There several different products on the market Poliglow , New glass ,Micoshield, Vertglass and some others. One thing all of the info has in common as make sure the surface is clean. Vertglass makes a removal solution. Have you tried it vet ? If so how well did it work? I’ve been thinking of giving Vertglass a try. I guess you’re the guinea pig . How is the gloss. Can you see any streaking ? How did the 2nd try go? Please let us know how it works..

What's the purpose of this stuff? I (and many others on here) wet-sanded our boats and it came out as good as new. I don't see where the benefit in adding another "layer" of material to the surface would help?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

From what I understand it’s like applying a clear coat over the finish without any sanding. Some of the products have a UV protective additives in them . If they really work the clime is your boat will look like it’s wet all of the time. My fear is if you don’t like the results can the sealer be removed easily with out damaging the existing finish.
    On my first boat after about 7 years the finish was looking bad. I sprayed a couple of coats of emron clear on her. Wow the boat look better than when it was new. The problem was after about 3 year the emron started to peal off. It was never made for this tip of application . Also emron is a harder material the gel coat. NOT GOOD . My comp is a 86 it’s been polished I can’t count and sanded once witch turned out fantastic . There is only so many time you can sand before you start going through the gel-coat . If this stuff really work as clamed a boat that looks wet all the time with no more waxing , polishing sanding exct.
    I really think I’d miss the waxing . Really.

I have used vert glass the previous 2 years. The main problem was yellowing and oxidation of the surfaces most exposed to the sun. The remover, which is basically a weak acid solution works, but it is a pain to use. I would not recommend this product. Wet sanding and wax is the way to go.

Every year I used wax but when I used the vertglas the first time it actually looked like a new boat! The shine was great! There was no streaking what so ever. I have not re did everything yet but I am the first of the season. So I will update the results when I do!