Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Got it out finally. Lots of adhesive to get off. Any great ideas how to remove and clean? Also seals look good and it looks like the grease coming out was through a small pinhole in bottom of flange. Anybody know the purpose of this hole? When I reinstall, what should I use to seal everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The seals are cheap...replace them while you have it out. I would also replace the snap rings, or at least remove and check their condition. Mine were rust welded in place...you can search for my thread were I rebuilt mine and see pics of what I'm talking about. There's also a picture in that thread of the tool used to clean it up.

The hole is where a grease zerk screws in.

Default Repairing a older style rudder port

Any chance my model does not use snap rings? I don't have it in front me of me but the only thing in the housing was two o rings to the best of my knowledge.

Also, still trying to figure the purpose of this small pinhole that the grease came out of. It is on hull side near where rudder shaft gets inserted. It is not the grease zirc. That goes on engine side. I'm thinking it is just a grease relief if it is too full. Concerned however this setup would allow water into the housing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by torch; 06-09-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torch View Post
    Any chance my model does not use snap rings?
    LOL, you totally threw me off with your post title of "repairing old style" rudder. My boat is ~13 yrs older than yours. Worst case you can drop $500 at any number of online shops and have a full turnkey replacement, otherwise you may have to reverse engineer it yourself and post up the DIY.

Others on here may definitely be able to help but you may want to post some pics to help illustrate the questions you have.

My '89 Saltare had a packing gland for the rudder and just brass on brass of the rudder port to post, no provisions for grease. It wore out as there was a fair amount of slop in the assembly. Not sure which style you have, but I ended up replacing mine with the large Mastercraft rudder which has about teh same surface area. Performs great! If mine was rebuildable and not excessively worn I would have just rebuilt it but that wasn't an option unfortunately. My thread on rudder replacement: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...er-replacement

Thanks for the information, does anybody know if the snap ring has to be removed in order to remove the oil seals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafamonc View Post
    Thanks for the information, does anybody know if the snap ring has to be removed in order to remove the oil seals?
    Yes, it does.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Some of the original Supras used a packing gland, others had a mechanical seal with o-rings, grease seals and snap rings holding it together. Mine is the latter, and somewhere there's an old thread I posted showing diagrams and parts needed when I rebuilt mine probably 7 or 8 years ago.

Just realized that old diagram is part of this thread ... it was 2014. Wow!! I hope it has helped someone out there over the years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by csuggs; 05-04-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

So I got my rudder tore apart with the help of this thread. I have an 85 Sunsport that had a lot of play in the rudder and some leakage.

All I had in mine was two grease seals and the c clip. Grease seals are similar to an o ring but the o ring is seated in a metal sleeves that slide into the the rudder post, I just learned that today. My rudder did not have any sock in it.

I took the grease seals to Napa and they where able to get an exact match. My question is without the sock what is to keep the rudder from continuing to wobble? Is it the pressure of the grease shot in it? Or are you guys adding an additional o ring between the two grease seals to help the rudder stay in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickgb55 View Post
    So I got my rudder tore apart with the help of this thread. I have an 85 Sunsport that had a lot of play in the rudder and some leakage.

All I had in mine was two grease seals and the c clip. Grease seals are similar to an o ring but the o ring is seated in a metal sleeves that slide into the the rudder post, I just learned that today. My rudder did not have any sock in it.

I took the grease seals to Napa and they where able to get an exact match. My question is without the sock what is to keep the rudder from continuing to wobble? Is it the pressure of the grease shot in it? Or are you guys adding an additional o ring between the two grease seals to help the rudder stay in place?
    There wasn't much left of my sock when I rebuilt it, so it's hard to know for sure, but it didn't have much to do with keeping the rudder in place or from wobbling. The sock basically separated the water from the grease. I assume the wobble is just from wear. If you want to experiment with it, you can get just slightly larger o-rings that might help the wobble. Otherwise, if it's worn too much, it might be time for a new rudder port.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839