Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Repairing a older style rudder port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

The link above for the shaft seal has changed (website changed, not the actual seal).

I believe this to be the current link:
    http://www.bestpartsonline.com/oil-s...35-vc-nbr-4621

Ordered today, rebuilding this weekend!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Default Repairing a older style rudder port

The most time consuming part of the process for me was getting the old seals out. The metal part of the seal was rusted and started to become one with the housing! Get a couple of picks and take your time!

Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

So about 4 years after this post was started I noticed my front bilge pump is running every couple of minutes. Thanks to dual battery setup otherwise I'd be dead on the water. (Was anchored). Traced the constant stream of water to the rudder. Bugger. But thanks to this very old post I'm going to fix that problem.

05 21v looks to have same setup as this post. Does anyone know if it is the same and if I can just get the parts at local auto parts store? I put grease in for first time today and it came out the bottom near rudder. Makes me think I have a seal gone bad or too much grease. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by torch View Post
    05 21v looks to have same setup as this post. Does anyone know if it is the same and if I can just get the parts at local auto parts store? I put grease in for first time today and it came out the bottom near rudder. Makes me think I have a seal gone bad or too much grease. Any thoughts?
    I can guarantee that you don't have the same post, but it may be similar. Unless you have a bent rudder post I would assume you have a bad seal. The worse part is just getting to it. Once you do, dealing with the rudder and post isn't a hassle.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I can't get the damn rudder housing assembly to free from the hull. I removed the 4 nuts as well as rudder and shaft. Any ideas how to free this thing?

IMG_2287.JPGIMG_2285.JPGIMG_2281.JPG

Ok, turns out mine is much different. Can't figure out how sleeve comes off. I did get top plate off. Any advice what to do next? Also, can't take rudder out fully because if trailer. Any ideas on getting jacked up high enough? Please help!

Ok, trailer was jacked high enough to get rudder out. Now is there any chance the housing sleeve is connected to the bottom (hull side) plate?

yes, on every one I've ever touched (but nothing as new as your boat) the bottom plate was a flange attached to the housing. Looking at your pictures, it is the same - one piece. It's probably bedded in with a pretty aggressive adhesive. I little heat may be required to get it loose.
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz