Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thanks Travis! Our jobs aren't in jeopardy right now, but just remember this: When you hear all this talk about solar panels, windmills, no coal, no nuclear power, think about the family in Paducah that has 1200 co-workers in the Nuclear Power field whose jobs will be lost if the Heritage Foundation gets their way. There's a lot to it, but we operate the only remaining Uranium Enrichment Facility in the United States. Once it's shut down by those pricks, the US will have to depend on foreign countries for MORE services from overseas. We are regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission with 100% compliance, and have an impecable safety record, not to mention the least amount of human errors imaginable for a place of that size.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

John, what you said above makes sense... We need to stop depending on others for our resources, in this case, uranium. I shall be writing my elected officials to voice my opinion on the matter and I encourage evryone else to do the same.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Travis - you said nearly everything I wanted to say!

John - I got a lot of great ideas from you since first joining this forum ... thanks for everything.
    Colorado is also stupid-packed and insane busy, it's hard to find a time when the lake is not full of
    idiots. Sad, really - I like to see the sport grow, but I wish the fools weren't the ones growing it.

Todd
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

If we go out on a weekend, we are on the water by 7am and off by 10am. Everyone gets a set in and off we go back to the house before all the crazies come out! The weekends on the lakes in California are crazy busy, unsafe, and not enjoyable to even be out.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Nuclear power is probably our best source of power.

If you compare the pound of waste per kwh produced to any othe type of production nuclear is much cleaner.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

Quote Originally Posted by 86 century View Post
    Nuclear power is probably our best source of power.

If you compare the pound of waste per kwh produced to any othe type of production nuclear is much cleaner.
    Problem is that when it comes down to it, people are all about clean and available power, but not in their backyard. Take a few issues with nuclear power and everyone gets weird. Always feels weird flying into Harrisburg, PA when the tower controller tells you to turn final over 3 mile island. But at the end of the day, I would embrace electrons from a nuclear power plant.

I agree about people not wanting it in their backyard. I don't know our population, but I'd say maybe 350,000 in this town. This plant was built in 1952. A lot of the general public is against it, but that's because of what the media puts out. Media never recognizes milestones or safety records, only the bad. Therefore, the general uneducated public see's it as bad. What they don't realize, is that if this plant starts cutting back, lots of businesses, other industries (A TVA power plant nearby), and most of the retail stores, will go out of business. There's around 1,200 plant employee's, maybe 600 or so that work for contractors in the plant, plus all of the industrial supply places that we get our parts and materials from. We've already decided that if my wife and I both lose our jobs, we'll have to move somewhere else, away from our families. There won't be any jobs here, this town will go to crap.

We've been trying to secure funds to build a new plant in Piketon, OH. If that plant is ever up and running, we will still have to support it for at least another 8 years. We're also trying to secure a contract from DOE to re-enrich "tails" material that is sitting around in old cylinders. That would keep us afloat for several years to come. All of this is contingent on government approval, but since the government right now is more concerned with failed solar panel companies and clean, unproven energy, we could be on the cutting block. I've got 11 years in, my wife has 3. I'd like to hope I could retire out here, and if we can get a few things going, that may happen.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. The buyer is picking up the boat tomorrow morning. I really hate to see her go, but it's for the best. My 3-year old said goodbye to it this afternoon, he's gonna miss it this year.
    My Install Gallery

Sadly, bad news it what sells... They can make it as dramatic as possible and sensationalize it. My industry is no different than your industry or anyone else and that is a problem when it comes to the media I think.

Actually, $550/year. That's after paying $3,500 sales tax when I bought it. I also pay around $350/year on my truck, $400/year on wifes truck, $300/year on our camper, $125 for the lot rent tax (in addition to $2,000/year for lot rent), and lets not forget the house: $1,500/year there. That's without the motorcycles that I've always had, or any other extra cars. Anything in KY with a title and license gets a 6% tax bill.

And yes, Bozo can exit the building with all of his cronies.
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
    Anything in KY with a title and license gets a 6% tax bill.
    That is unbelievable! Talk about out of control. Yes, I'm incensed by that. Why don't they just tax earnings from previous years as well? Apparently taxing something once isn't good enough. This has got to stop.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839