Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
    Actually, $550/year. That's after paying $3,500 sales tax when I bought it. I also pay around $350/year on my truck, $400/year on wifes truck, $300/year on our camper, $125 for the lot rent tax (in addition to $2,000/year for lot rent), and lets not forget the house: $1,500/year there. That's without the motorcycles that I've always had, or any other extra cars. Anything in KY with a title and license gets a 6% tax bill.
    Holy mother of taxation!!! And I thought I was pissed off about the 10.25% sales tax on the county I currently live in. John, do they tax you for breathing there as well?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

forgot to add, I also lose 32% from each paycheck......
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Holy mother of taxation!!! And I thought I was pissed off about the 10.25% sales tax on the county I currently live in. John, do they tax you for breathing there as well?
    We are 3 miles from the IL border. Lots of people here license their vehicles in IL or TN to avoid all the taxes. They use relatives addresses or other means to show residence.
    My Install Gallery

We are 3 miles from the IL border. Lots of people here license their vehicles in IL or TN to avoid all the taxes. They use relatives addresses or other means to show residence.
    If that's the case, I'll PM you my address because that's just ridiculousness to the max!

Another reason for this debt reduction is that Obama and the Heritage Foundation are about to kill my career. "Clean Energy", is gonna kill this world. More and more lost jobs, and that will included me and my family.
    I'd rather punch myself in the nuts than get into political arguments on the internet, but you should do some research about the Heritage Foundation boys. The Koch Brothers are evil scum-bag criminals that are the big financial backers of the current "conservative" movement. Obama participates in their corporate cronyism but I don't think he's the one that's going to cut any kind of nuclear-power. If you want nuclear power to survive, be very careful where your "conservative" dollars go. (Hint: The Koch brothers have made all of their billions through oil and coal.)

If you're interested in learning more about the current "conservative" movement in this country, dive in here --> http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...0fa_fact_mayer

That's a fair article that is scary as hell. I personally lean pretty far libertarian... but.... knowing that there are people (and money) like that pulling strings is SCARY stuff.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    I think there have been some studies done that say even though the specifics of how various states/counties are taxed -- the "effective" tax rate doesn't change much state to state. (And to be clear.... I absolutely agree that it's too much!)

As an example -- I don't pay anywhere near the taxes that jonyb pays on his possessions -- but I do pay $3000/year in taxes on my $180k house.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I'd rather punch myself in the nuts than get into political arguments on the internet, but you should do some research about the Heritage Foundation boys. The Koch Brothers are evil scum-bag criminals that are the big financial backers of the current "conservative" movement. Obama participates in their corporate cronyism but I don't think he's the one that's going to cut any kind of nuclear-power. If you want nuclear power to survive, be very careful where your "conservative" dollars go. (Hint: The Koch brothers have made all of their billions through oil and coal.)

If you're interested in learning more about the current "conservative" movement in this country, dive in here --> http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...0fa_fact_mayer

That's a fair article that is scary as hell. I personally lean pretty far libertarian... but.... knowing that there are people (and money) like that pulling strings is SCARY stuff.
    Here's a quote from one of our news clips lately:

The plant in Paducah is operated by the United States Enrichment Corporation and produces low-enriched uranium for use in commercial nuclear power plants across the country. The bill would allow the plant to re-enrich leftover uranium—called “tails”—and sell it to generate power. Both Whitfield and the Government Accountability Office estimate the re-enrichment could net more than $4 billion for the federal government.
    But the legislation is stalled in Congress, facing bipartisan opposition. Whitfield argues that the project is a win-win —it will generate money and retain 1,200 jobs for the area. He says the Department of Energy could act on its own, but isn’t.
    “That’s why it’s so puzzling and so frustrating because you produce the money for the government, you save the government significant money and you expedite environmental cleanup and you save 1200 jobs,” Whitfield said. “We’re stymied in Washington because the Obama Administration is still opposed to it, Secretary Chu is still opposed to it, the Democratic leadership in the House is still opposed to it. And then we have a lot of conservative people in the Congress who don’t want to spend any money.”
    The conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation came out against the bill because it’s worded to disqualify competitive bidding for the uranium.
    That's not the only issue, there are a few more, that's just the first one that came to mind. This company is also trying to get a new technology going, but not getting much support from DOE or Congress.
    Last edited by jonyb; 02-08-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I think there have been some studies done that say even though the specifics of how various states/counties are taxed -- the "effective" tax rate doesn't change much state to state. (And to be clear.... I absolutely agree that it's too much!)

As an example -- I don't pay anywhere near the taxes that jonyb pays on his possessions -- but I do pay $3000/year in taxes on my $180k house.
    It's alright, I am just shy of three miles from the county line. I gas up and buy as much stuff as I can in Lake county as opposed to Cook county. And the county wonders why they are still facing a budget shortfall that is actually increasing since the sales tax hike. Gas around the corner from my house, $3.87 for 87 octane. Gas across the county line for the same grade, $3.44.

Talk about a thread jack : )

Nooo graphics are always more important than taxes. Just a joke to lighten the otherwise crappy demeanor of this thread.