Default Retrofitting a Hydraulic Wakeplate??? Questions...

I am thinking about retrofitting a hydraulic wakeplate onto my '92 Mariah.

Has anyone done this to an older boat? If so, did it noticebly inprove the boat?

I would like to put one of these on my boat, mainly just to adjust the boats attitide to smooth out the ride in rough water. I would see the ability to tune the wake only as an added bonus because i cant board too much any more due to arthritis in my knees (at age 25, can you beleive that?)

Are they fairly effective at adjusting the boats attitude?

Who supplies the plates to Supra and what is the cost to buy one from a dealer?

Overton's has one on their website by Bennet Marine (bigtime mfr of trim tabs). It is out of stock and it is not listed on Bennett's website, so i am assuming that it has been discontinued.

Would I get alot more control over the boat by using standard trim tabs?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Default Replying to Topic 'Retrofitting a Hydraulic Wakeplate??? Que

the cost to add a hydraulic wakeplate to my old Launch was going to be just over 1k if I remember correctly. not sure if it would be same for yours... check with your dealer, but that is what mine had quoted me...

BUMP

Anyone have any more info on this? Especially regarding the tab made by Bennett and whether it would be effective in adjusting the boat's attitude to improve ride quality.

Thanks,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red

those bennet tabs are very highly regarded for that purpose. i used to go to boatered.com and the owner was a frequent poster, very helpful. i'd suggest contacting them directly, they are one of the more reputable marine companies around.

there's another company making something called smart tabs, i think they're significantly cheaper but not as fancy. the bennets give you full control while the smart tabs are sorta pre-set and automatic.

i haven't seen any reviews from comp boats though.

Originally posted by Salty87

those bennet tabs are very highly regarded for that purpose.
    Salty,

Thanks for the info. Were you referring to the Bennett wakeplate or standard trim tabs. I would kinda like to use standard tabs because that would let me correct a listing condition on the fly, but i have a couple concerns:

(1) Fitment - Im not sure that there is enough room on the transom to mount tabs on each side; and

(2) Wake shape - i'm also not sure if independent tabs on the sides would ruin the wake for wakeboarding. I dont board much anymore, but i have friends that do.

If i could pull it off, the independent tabs would rock. Bennet makes a "joystick" control that looks like it would work great. You just work the joystick like an airplane stick/yoke.

I tried that boatered site, which requires you to register to view the forums. I registered, but am still awaing the email from the board so i can log in.

Thanks,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red

i was referring to the tabs, i haven't read any reviews of the wakeplate

Call jeff at Pro-tech Watersports in fife, WA 253-926-6785, I am sure he could give you some info!