Default 1990 Sunsport Interior

My boat needs most of the surfaces recovered. Is it completely crazy to try to tackle it ourselves? If we were okay with one color, could we just buy the vinyl on our own? We have done this in the past but it was all pretty basic cushions and stuff on an older boat. I am trying to think if it would be completely crazy to take off the vinyl, lay it out on a new piece, trace the patterns, and then cut them our own. I am pretty good with a sewing machine so I could then possibly sew the patterns back together.... I am not pretending it would be as good or as pretty of a job, but when we are talking a few hundred in vinyl vs. a few thousand...it is tempting to try on our own.

Alternatively, where the heck do I find someone with the patterns for this interior??? I have been looking for quite some time but aside from someone doing a custom job for us (getting quotes of 2-3K) is there another option? I hit up Copycat which was recommended, but I was quoted about 2K just for the vinyl...not counting shipping.

Thanks all!

Someone posted this in another thread.

http://www.copycatupholstery.com
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Yeah, I saw that one. Those where the guys I mentioned I contacted but they quoted me "about 2000" for the skins alone, not counting shipping. They do great work but when I'm looking at paying 3k or less here installed, 2k plus shipping doesn't feel like a great deal...

there are a few people on here who have diy'd their interiors. i think if you search you might find some links for suppliers. start with the hard to see spots and work your way up the engine cover and noticeable areas.

Unfortunately, the quote I got of $800 to recover just the rear bench and bow upholstery turned into $1900 or $4000 for the whole boat. This guy really chaps my hide, he did my friends 2003 Sanger for $3,500. That included all new upholstery and even memory foam cushion...dang it!

Back to the drawing board...