Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stay away from Marine Tower Systems!!!!

I think I have a thread here where I explain my frustration with the custom tower manufacturer. They're based in Vonore, TN. They make a lot of towers for some boat manufacturers, but also do custom work for individuals. In addition to the weeks of delay, and never making me the right brackets for the racks, they tore several things up on my boat during installation. Just sloppy installation work. I think they actually did a good job on the tower itself.

So tonight I wanted to make sure the mounting bolts were tight. After purchasing a large allen wrench, I tried to tighten the bolts and while they needed tightening badly, I couldn't get them to tighten. So I pulled the side air vents off to access the nut behind the gunnel of the boat. The support brackets were so small that I consider it negligence. I don't know what they were thinking when they made these ridiculously small backing plates. Needless to say, I'm correcting their mistake. I'm fortunate that I didn't have any issues with the fiberglass last summer.

There's nothing I can do but warn other people to not use this company. Here's the backing plate they used when installing my tower.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Oh wow...that's barely better than a few large washers....good lord!

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    The support brackets were so small that I consider it negligence. I don't know what they were thinking when they made these ridiculously small backing plates.
    They are all thinking about the bottom line... Classic example of tripping over a dollar to save a penny. Instead of investing a little more money in a quality bracket, they have now lost a customer in you and probably anyone else that stumbles upon this thread in a google search for a tower install on their boat.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

What Jetlink said! Transaction selling rather than relationship selling. Good thing you caught it Titan, wouldn't want to tear up that beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    Oh wow...that's barely better than a few large washers....good lord!
    You're exactly right. You can see the circle from the washer on the bracket.

"Classic example of tripping over a dollar to save a penny" - I agree with the mindset, but I think it just boils down to laziness. They're a complete custom shop. They've got BARRELS of spare parts and material. They could have made larger brackets by only spending 10 more minutes on the project. No extra material costs. They're sloppy and lazy.

Just as one example of what they did during installation, look at this photo. When I opened this hatch door, this it how it opened. I had just installed new hinges and it worked flawlessly when I dropped the boat off. They accessed this storage area to gain access to the front tower mount. I think someone kneeled on the open door and ripped it off the hinges. Did they fix it? No. Did they tell me? No. They just loosely stuck the door back on and I found out when I got home.

1986 Saltare

Do you have an address for them? Or do they have a website? I'm curious about something.

That sucks about the trouble, that would piss me off to no end. I had a lot of trouble with my tower as well.

Here's their web site. http://www.marine-tower-systems.com/home.html

Their address is on the site. It's not far from Viper Customs. It's not the same as New Dimensions.

1986 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    Here's their web site. http://www.marine-tower-systems.com/home.html

Their address is on the site. It's not far from Viper Customs. It's not the same as New Dimensions.
    First I've ever heard of them, and I live in this area. They do not build for any boat manufacturers I'm aware of. Hmmm
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Its all in the name: Marine Tower Systems a division of Proffitt's Machining Inc.
    This is on the site......so you should know they are looking mainly at the bottom line. I am amazed they haven't been in court yet because of the lack of backing materials causing damage to new/used boat fiberglass.

Titan - sorry for recommending MTS to you. I thought your tower turned out really nice, but was unaware of the installation issues. I was in their shop when they installed mine so I had some input into the process. As a side note, I think they manufacture a nice product, but I think they also do not do many installations. Most of what they do is production (non-custom) work for a few manufacturers of boats that we wouldn't normally look at like Tahoe. That's not an excuse for their poor installation standards, but may be an explanation.
    Clint
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com