Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Carb'd vs EFI era Supras... What do you prefer??

Just a quick idea of what owners of both old school and newer designs prefer. Loved my ol Sunsport and looking forward to the Launch. But right now I think I might of pulled the new boat trigger too quick. Hoping this might help me end the sellers remourse.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

So I take it you got the launch?

While the fuel advantages of an EFI engine are definitely a plus. I love my carb'd engines. The response, the sound, the ease of repair, etc, make me really enjoy my carbs.

Other than fuel economy there is no real advantage between them. Some say throttle response, but if your carb is dialed in right, it's just as fast if not faster.

Had a carb and loved it but love my mpfi more. So much smoother on starting and idle with no messin around. Oh ya and the fuel economy is way better. JMO , but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another carbed tho
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I own both. I love my 89 but my 08 is far superior in every way . If there is a problem no doubt it will be more costly in the new boat. I have almost 400 hours now with no problems . Its nice to have quick starts and flawless running in all conditions. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for the old but my brain goes for the new.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    There will always be a soft spot in my heart for the old but my brain goes for the new.
    This quote more less put me in the situation I am in !!!

With the soft winter of late I have been really watching my spending. I have committed to the new to me 03 Launch under the engine/trans condition confirmation in the spring. The seller is super nice, is fully aware of the issues the boat has and knows my knowledge and mechanicial ability in boats is a perfect fit to the 03. I just wanted confirmation from fellow Supra owners that my idea on paper is one which is factual and a solid investment.

The boat itself looks like it had a underwater collision which tore off the prop and rudder in its early life. The fix was structurally sound, but the finish of the finial product seems to be a 7 out of 10. With some work to the underside of the boat and a good clean, polish and runthrough of everything the boat is a great investment and looks killer. NTM the new 20hr crate engine from a improper winterization from a few years back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Carb is the only way to go for me. There are no disadvantages. Carb and EFI have the same efficiency and throttle response, anyone who says otherwise doesn't have their carb sized and tuned properly... Or is using a poor design of carb for the application. Carbs are cheaper and more reliable as well.

Personally I'll never own a fuel injected vehicle. I tried it once and it was a terrible mistake. Chased all sorts of fuel and sensor issues and never resolved the problems with it. No mechanic knew what to do with it either. Aside from that vehicle I've seen so many fuel infected engines that won't start, won't stay running, or run very poorly when tehre's absolutely nothing wrong with the engine itself. Screw that, I want no part of getting stranded for some oddball sensor or electrical issue. Fuel injection can definitely be a safety issue for me because I ride where there is big ship traffic in a fairly narrow channel at many points. I'm not gonna get run over by a barge, tanker, container ship, or warship because some random sensor decided to crap out.

To each his own, but I'll stick with my old junk that just works and on the very rare event it doesn't, can be fixed in a pinch on the water with a few basic hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Carb is the only way to go for me. There are no disadvantages. Carb and EFI have the same efficiency and throttle response, anyone who says otherwise doesn't have their carb sized and tuned properly... Or is using a poor design of carb for the application. Carbs are cheaper and more reliable as well.
    LOL, are there -any- carbureted engines made any any production automobile today? There's a reason for that.
    2009 21V

I this a trick question??

Daff!! Get a cover on that thing. lol
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    LOL, are there -any- carbureted engines made any any production automobile today? There's a reason for that.
    EFI. No question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!