Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: running rich

Default running rich

My 2000 launch has an obnoxious odor coming from the exhaust. Engine has around 450 hours and has been well maintained. It is not smoking and dosen't skip. Suggestions??

Default Replying to Topic 'running rich'

MY 99 LAUNCH HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. MY MOTOR HAS A HOLLEY. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TUNE A HOLLEY CARB. IF IT IS A HOLLEY IT IS A SIMPLE PROBLEM BUT TAKES TIME TO FIX. A HOLLEY WILL RUN RICH AT IDLE IF TUNED PROPERLY. LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF CARB AND HOPEFULLY I CAN HELP.

Mine is EFI- don't know if you can adjust the mixture on these or not?? I ran in yesterday and did notice a bit of white smoke coming up from the platform. I'm in South Georgia and way away from the nearest inboard dealership so I do all I can, when I can as far as maintainence. Any help is appreciated.

EFI IS NOT MY STRONGEST AREA. MOST EFI MOTORS HAVE IAC VALVE OR IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE. THAT MAY BE A POSSIBLE PROBLEM. WHITE SMOKE IS OIL BURNING. WHEN THE MOTOR IS RUNING RICH IT WILL BE A BLACK SMOKE. PULL YOU'RE SPARK PLUGS ONE AT ATIME. LOOK AT THE COLOR INSIDE THE PLUG THE COLOR SHOULD BE A LIGHT BROWNISH COLOR. IF THE PLUGS ARE BLACK IT IS RUNING RICH. IF THE MOTOR IS BURNING OIL IT WILL SOMETIMES LEAVE IT ON THE END OF THE PLUGS. LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE MOTOR IS A TUNE PORT INJECTION OR THRODLE BODY INJECTOIN?

Burning oil is BLUE SMOKE. The little bit of white "smoke" you see is most likely steam from the exhaust. Does the odor smell like gas, or something else? The worst smell i ever had from mine smelled like burning rubber when the exhaust overheated due to a shredded raw water pump impeller.

LAUNCH 99, not trying to flame, but it is considered poor netiquette to post in ALL CAPS. SOME PEOPLE FIND IT HARD TO READ. See what i mean.

Cheers,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

It definitely smells like it's running rich on gas, not oil. It's not burning any oil at all according to the dipstick - impellor should be in good shape as my temp holds steady at 160 and I just replaced it end of last season. I like my boat to be as close to perfect as possible and I've got to cure this - wonder if there is an oxygen sensor?? Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Sorry to those who have a hard time reading my post. I have never had steam come out from my boat. I have not seen a boat of this year with 02 sensors. This is why i would look for iac sensor.

Launch2000,

I am thinking it could be incomplete combustion. Have you changed the plugs and wires lately?

DKJ

99 Launch,

I wasnt trying to be an ass. I was just lettiing you know.

DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Launch2000,

Just an FYI for you: Marine EFIs do not use an oxygen sensor and there is no adjustment for the fuel mixture that can be done without special equipment.

I agree that the white smoke you noticed was likely just water vapor, especially if it was a humid day or a cool day.

I few questions to help diagnose your problem:

1) Which engine do you have?

2) Is your engine multiport or throttle body fuel injection?

3) Have you noticed a sheen of gasoline on the water coming from your exhaust?

4) Can you tell if one cylinder bank is running rich compared to the other?

5) Any black smoke visible at any time?

6) Why did you replace your thermostat?

7) Except for the rich smell, is your engine running normally?

--KG--

Launch
    If you have the spin-on fuel filter canister on the bottom of your fuel pump at the front of the motor, than you probably have the fuel pump which was recalled. Please don't let me understate this - DO NOT operate your boat any more, and get it to a Indmar service center as soon as possible. Indmar tried to cool the fuel at the fuel pump for one year by having sea water pass by the fuel system. This caused an issue from corrosion. Unspent fuel was being discharged into the exhaust system through the cooling system. This could cause an explosion.