Default Breaking in Marine 454

Anyone know the correct way to break in a marine engine?
    I've heard differing methods from the guy I bought the engine from & my mechanic friend.
    I know in a auto you dont want to hold it at constant rpm to avoid getting flat spot on cam, but guy I bought engine from told me opposite for marine???

By the way, good to be back... I finally got that 425hp 454 for my '90 Sunsport rebuild and need to post pics from the stringer/floor build as well as all of the goodies that I have for her. I also have a beautiful black '86 Saltare for sale. Hit me up friends... LAKE SEASON IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!!!

Same as breaking in an automotive engine, the cams are the same. Use high zinc and phosphorus content oil along with a cam break in additive, I like Valvoline VR1 as it is readily available and 1200/1300 ppm zinc/phos. Start and immediately bring to 2000 RPM. Keep RPM above 2000 with occasional slow sweeps up and down between 2000-2500. After 20 minutes of this vary the RPM in long slow up and slow down sweeps 2000-3000, 2000-3500. Then bring down to idle, set timing, adjust carb, etc. Change oil. Done, go enjoy your boat. Change oil again after 8 hours run time and you're golden.

I thought that Saltare was motorless?
    Didn't you pull that motor from it for the Sunsport?

Saltare was motorless (bought w/out motor, but had all other parts) bought 454 and using parts from Saltare to put 454 into my Sunsport resto. Putting rebuilt 351 and all new parts from my Sunsport into Saltare. Ooh the stringers are perfect, and has new floor, tower, elec. system, carpet, and nice interior. My favorite aspect of the Saltare is the flawless Black gelcoat (no stress cracks anywhere). Anyone that wants to piece the puzzle together can have her for 6000.
    Last edited by zalamander; 03-13-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    BTW, nice job on both boats. Saw your pics.......I'm sure it's a quick sale for you. Good luck!
    Thanks for your support. I sure hope its a quick sale. I got lucky to find it cheap, but I've had it too long. Wasn't going to strip 454 at first, but had an excellent opportunity, and really have been wanting more HP & weight in sunsport.