Default Damper plate removal

I have an 88 supra comp, and I have been reading some posts on here about flex plates, or damper plates. People are talking about a ticking noise they hear from that area. They claim broken springs are to blame. I have that same noise and am looking into replacing mine. Was just looking for a general rundown of what to do. I'm an industrial mechanic for a living, and if it's taught me anything it's to go into a job with all the info you can get. Also if anyone has a manual for my transmission, that would be great.I think it's a velvet 1 to 1. Also looking for a source for the plate. If you have a manual could you email it to me. My email is my user name at hotmail. Thanks for the help

ebay for the new damper plate , you will refer to motor for ordering info .. ford / chevy , fords have small plates and chevy has larger ones ... skidim.com has them for 198.00 but i bought mine off ebay for 96.00 .. and you can get the manual off this site also for the velvet drive 1:1 100/17/004 ... pull the trans from motor to remove , it weights maybe 120 lbs and should take maybe and hour for the whole job

Dan,

I will be doing mine next weekend and will be doing a full write-up with pictures. So until I do it first hand and run into all the joys of doing it, I will remain quiet on instruction.

Do not go and get yourself a damper plate for an automotive application. Everytime I see someone try to do that with a boat application, they have to buy something else and go through major headaches. The damper plates are not the same. Get one from www.skidim.com and be done with it.

Also check your ratio. My comp had the 1.32:1 transmission. Some came with the 1:1 but they are not as common. Awesome if you do as it will be better on your MPG. There should be a tab on the transmission telling you the exact ratio on the top of the tranny.

I'll email you the PCM Manual, have fun, it's a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Do not go and get yourself a damper plate for an automotive application. Everytime I see someone try to do that with a boat application, they have to buy something else and go through major headaches. The damper plates are not the same. Get one from www.skidim.com and be done with it.
    The one i bought looked identical to skidims , Mark-up % at a marine store will always be 150%+ but im always on a search for a deal ...

Thanks for the manual, it should be super helpful. I just got my boat out of storage today and installed my new tower. Once it gets a little nicer out I will tear into the damper plate. Thanks for the help so far and any other help u give me in the future.

look forward to your posting as I am having the same issues with my pcm 1.23:1 tranny.
    many thx!

If anybody needs a step by step go here
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...te-replacement