Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks Haugy for the directions, very clear pics as well as the tips.
    Will be doing mine in a few weeks !
    much appreciated!
    89 conbrio with 351 ford and PCM 1:23 to 1

Great job Haugy. Have you tested it yet?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Not yet. I haven't even de-winterized it yet.

I'm doing that this weekend to give it a good once over, then hope to test it Sunday.

Bringing up an older thread. I was wondering about the alignment of the damper. If see other forums that talk about putting the bolts in loose, installing the bellhousing/tranni then tighten the bolts once aligned by the tranni shaft through the starter hole in the housing. Looks like you didn't align yours. I'm researching replacing mine in my SN.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

My recollection was that there were alignment pins on the flywheel that lined up with holes in the damper plate, so you couldn't mess it up. That and you can't reach the bolts on the damper with the transmission shaft in place.

Also, when I last removed my transmission I just unbolted the mounts from the stringers, making re-installation easier and making driveshaft re-alignment unnecessary. You do have to lift the whole motor and transmission together at first to make room to pull the tranny out but in the end, I think it's less work.
    1989 Bravura - repowered with 2001 PCM 351 GT-40 - 1.23:1 PCM Trans.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

great, thanks.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    5) If you can't get the mounts lined up, use a wrench to turn the square headed bolts on the tranny mounts to move the mounts up and down. Loosen the lock nut holding the spindle in place in the middle first. Once aligned and mounted, adjust so the coupler bolts up flush to the tranny. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE COUPLER AND TRANNY ARE ALMOST DEAD FLUSH FOR ALIGNMENT!
    What do you mean by the "coupler". Since this is important to make sure they are dead flush, I want to make sure I know what you're talking about.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    What do you mean by the "coupler". Since this is important to make sure they are dead flush, I want to make sure I know what you're talking about.
    Driveshaft to transmission coupler...

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    Driveshaft to transmission coupler...
    Oh, like the prop shaft coupler to the coupler that's on the output shaft of the transmission? Like at the far right of this pic? Or am I not understanding the terminology?

(yeah, that's kind of goes w/o saying.)

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Oh, like the prop shaft coupler to the coupler that's on the output shaft of the transmission? Like at the far right of this pic? Or am I not understanding the terminology?
    Yep, you've got it right.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839