Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

We were out on Lake Gaston yesterday afternoon, and as I accelerated to get on plane, we heard a rumble from the doghouse and lost all propulsion. The engine still runs, but I can no longer engage the transmission in forward or reverse. I'd like to confirm this is symptomatic of a broken damper plate..? I've had a knocking sound at idle speed for a few years, which I believe it indicative of a worn damper plate, but have been apprehensive about changing it.

I've got a direct drive 2003 launch s/s and I'm debating undertaking the repair myself. Any thoughts on whether a home mechanic can do the job? With youtube and this forum's help, I feel like I can, but at the same time, I don't want to make a bigger mess of things.

Any words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Thanks!
    2003 Supra Launch SS

You likely won't get many responses here since this is someone else's thread (and an old one to boot). Start a new thread and ask your question.

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo5566 View Post
    We were out on Lake Gaston yesterday afternoon, and as I accelerated to get on plane, we heard a rumble from the doghouse and lost all propulsion. The engine still runs, but I can no longer engage the transmission in forward or reverse. I'd like to confirm this is symptomatic of a broken damper plate..? I've had a knocking sound at idle speed for a few years, which I believe it indicative of a worn damper plate, but have been apprehensive about changing it.

I've got a direct drive 2003 launch s/s and I'm debating undertaking the repair myself. Any thoughts on whether a home mechanic can do the job? With youtube and this forum's help, I feel like I can, but at the same time, I don't want to make a bigger mess of things.

Any words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Thanks!

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

If you decide to replace your flex plate feel free to pm me and I can share my experience of doing mine on a 2000 launch DD last summer. I live int the Raleigh area and make up to Gaston a couple of times a year.

Do you have torque specs for the damper to flywheel bolts and also the flywheel to crank bolts?
    Thanks
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by covertcombatant View Post
    Do you have torque specs for the damper to flywheel bolts and also the flywheel to crank bolts?
    Thanks
    Brian
    Indmar Shop Manual has the following:
    Flywheel to crank bolt - Use loctite 271 on threads
    On 5.0 and 5.7 models with two-piece rear main seal 70 ft-lb
    On 5.0 and 5.7 models with a one piece rear main seal 75 ft-lb
    7.4L and 8.2L 65 ft-lb
    8.1L 74 ft-lb

Damper Plate - 35 ft-lb

In all cases tighten bolts in a crossing pattern

Thanks for the info.
    One more question. Getting ready to drop the ring gear on the flywheel. There is a bevel on the inner circumference of the ring (not the teeth side) which way should this bevel face?
    Does it matter?

Not sure - Nothing in the manual as well. Maybe someone else will know.

Threw it on with bevel side facing the starter. It fired up and had no grinding. Don't think it has any affect on it.

Resurrecting one from the dead. Going to be tackling this one this weekend on my comp. Any idea how far the transmission has to slide to remove? I was able to disconnect the coupler and push the shaft back until it was stopped by the seal, and it was stopped by that before it was stopped by the prop. Is that about right?