Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1991 Supra Sun Sport Engine Rebuild Check

Good afternoon all! I am looking at buying a 1991 supra sun sport and am wanting to know if you can tell if an engine has been rebuilt. The engine has about 1100 hours on it and the guy who currently owns the boat says it runs strong and does not know if it has ever had a rebuild. All i really know to check is the compression and ensure all results are within 10% of each other. Also, the owner has had it for about three years and had put a new paint job on it and reupholstered all the seats. Any ideas on how much it would cost to get that done? I am trying to figure out if it is a good price at $8500. The only work that needs to be done is the trailer needs new fenders and a paint job. The boat also has a Big Air tower. Thanks!
    Last edited by redraider08; 03-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Its prolly safe to say that it hasn't ever been rebuilt. As far as price I have no idea.

Is this a red supra in San Angelo tx?

It is, do you know anything about the boat?

My friend was gonna buy this boat last yr but the seller acted funny when it came time to sell. The guys name is Bill. I think he just wanted to keep it for the summer. I test drove the boat and it seemed fine but i didnt thourally inspect it. Trailer does need alot of work but the boat looks good. Do u live in Angelo? like to meet up at the horseshoe sometime this summer.

Without tearing into it's tough to know. And if they rebuilt it back to spec it's really tough. You can rebuild a motor without honing out the cylinders, it's not the best way, but it's done.

An indicator to look at visually is the gaskets. See if they are the original paper gaskets from the factory. Most people end up buying newer style gaskets with a rebuild so you should be able to see them from that.

Do a compression test on the engine. If it all checks out, and runs good, run it. I've known plenty of rebuilt motors that lasted quite a long time. If it was done right, no biggie.

Thanks! Any thoughts on $8,500 being a good price? i posted a thread on the classifieds to get comments on the price and there are a couple of pictures of the boat there.

Kracker-Did your buddy end up finding a boat? if so what did he get? I live in Midland and usually go to Brady as i have some family with a house on the lake there, but if they don't get some rain looks like Nasworthy will be the only option around! I'll shoot you a PM if i make my way to San Angelo.

Try to look in the valve covers through fill hole, if it's a newer rebuild the valvetrain and drainage channels should be bright and clean, no crud or varnish color. Of course an old engine can look that way too if well cared for. Also check gaskets and for any signs of RTV or other sealants, bolts for signs of replacement or removal. You never know though, whether some part was just fixed or whole thing. You wouldn't know without at least pulling a head to measure bore. If you're worried, check compression and oil pressure, listen for any bad noises.

yea he ened up buyin a rinker I/O. And yea hit me up sometime if u get it. Just look for the loudest Supra on the water. Its a nice boat and I think worth 8500. I paid 8k for mine and its the same yr and model minus new interior and paint.

i bought my supra in the same circumstances, high hours, but i bought it for the it may run price. I'm A Marine engineer and That is the big deal if its salt water 1100 hours it trashed, if not(freshwater) i could still have some life left. The price isnt the best for the year with a possible rebuild. I would present the facts to owner and do a compression test and take an oil sample let it sit for several minutes and see what it looks like. Other things i would try to see condition of the PCM power pacs if they are trash (personal experience) and they are 500 to replace with a retro-kit that is all around a better set-up. 8500 for a 21 year old boat ehhhh condition is everything pics would be a good addition to thread. In my opinion i would start an offer of $6000 and go as far as 7500, but that's me.

VR,
    IT's just a boat - You need to love it!
    Caress Me down - 1991 Supra Sunsport