Thread: GelCoat Color

Default GelCoat Color

So, in the spring I plan on (note the word PLAN) setting the comp up on blocks and doing the whole 9 yards of gel coat restore. Wet Sand 800 > 1000 > 1200. Heavy Compound X2, Light Compound/Polish X1, Ultra Fine Finish Polish X2, then a good wax. My biggest problem is that there are deep scratches where the top coat of the gel coat is gone and is white underneath. I need to color match the new gel coat so it looks new. Did Supra ever release the official colors?

There is a spot worse than this, I believe this will buff out. Dont have a pic of the section missing gel coat...

IMG_1227.jpg
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Oh, just remembered. Stickers! For the decals, I am going to get Supra & Symbol and Comp made. Im leaving off TS6M. It looks kinda silly, and you cant read it on the water. Where do you guys like to get the decals done??
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1984 E-Scow

Had mine done locally for the name of the boat, as for my updated supra domed decals they came from the local dealer. I personally think the 'TS6M' is the best- it makes it sound powerful and agile!
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

As for the white scratches, I'd go ahead and wetsand with 800, then 1000 grit. You would be surprised of what looks too deep, and will still come out of gelcoat. Do that, and then if you still have white, then you can address how much color you really need. I had two deep ones come out to my surprise.

As for the colors, man I have no clue. I've never seen a true color chart for these boats.

There is a spot where the colored gel coat is literally gone. This I promise. However, the scratches in the pic I very much believe will come out. I am doing 800, 1000, 1200 -> 3M Super Duty Compund -> 3M Perfect It Compound -> 3M Perfect It UltraFine Polish. The 3M Perfect it is from 3M Best line of compounds and polish...

Bummer on the color match... No place that a few of you guys use? Just find local?

1984 E-Scow

I don't think it's common (certainly not for these older boats anyway) that the manufacturers ever published color mixtures. People who fix gelcoat professionally just mix colors until they get a match. It's not formulated like auto paint.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839