Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

I don't have any pics yet with the boat, as we've only trailored it twice--once to get it home and the other time I let my buddy pull it. But the primary tow rig will be the wife's 2009 Honda Ridgeline RTL.

Part of me is tempted to try my Jeep for a SHORT jaunt... It does have the 4.0L inline 6 with front and rear discs with the fronts upgraded from a Grand Cherokee. Has a Dana 44 rear end with chromoly shafts and a high pinion Dana 30 front with high pinion shafts... For the ramp, the front and rear air lockers and the 3.8 Atlas Transfer case with 4.10 gears on the Auto tranny would certainly help. Hell, I could hook up to something with the 9000 pound winch if need be! But the wheelbase is always the concern with Jeep's...

I've towed a few thousand miles with the Jeep and the camping trailer though...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

As tow rigs go, I wish I still had my previous 'Exploder'.

2004 Ford Explorer XLT V8. Billet grills, 20" chrome wheels, lowered, dual exhaust... Arguably one of the best Explorers I'd ever seen.

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I've just borrowed my buddies truck to pull the Supra so far. I pulled my MC with my Jeep, but I think I need to sell it and get a full size truck for the supra.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ang/dropin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I've just borrowed my buddies truck to pull the Supra so far. I pulled my MC with my Jeep, but I think I need to sell it and get a full size truck for the supra.

Your XJ should be able to pull that Supra fine as long as you aren't hauling it long distances. For around town it will be fine, just plan ahead and don't try to rush. But with that single axle trailer you will be very tongue heavy and you will certainly feel every bump.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Part of me is tempted to try my Jeep for a SHORT jaunt... It does have the 4.0L inline 6 with front and rear discs with the fronts upgraded from a Grand Cherokee. Has a Dana 44 rear end with chromoly shafts and a high pinion Dana 30 front with high pinion shafts... For the ramp, the front and rear air lockers and the 3.8 Atlas Transfer case with 4.10 gears on the Auto tranny would certainly help. Hell, I could hook up to something with the 9000 pound winch if need be! But the wheelbase is always the concern with Jeep's...

That's a lot of weight for that TJ man. Even with the lockers and the 44, if it's a 5-speed you could cause the clutch to strain itself pretty bad. I know mine can tow my boat as I've towed rigs 3 times my size. But that's a buttload of tongue weight. I know I'd be squatting on the bumpstops with that big pig.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Your XJ should be able to pull that Supra fine as long as you aren't hauling it long distances. For around town it will be fine, just plan ahead and don't try to rush. But with that single axle trailer you will be very tongue heavy and you will certainly feel every bump.

That's a lot of weight for that TJ man. Even with the lockers and the 44, if it's a 5-speed you could cause the clutch to strain itself pretty bad. I know mine can tow my boat as I've towed rigs 3 times my size. But that's a buttload of tongue weight. I know I'd be squatting on the bumpstops with that big pig.
    It's actually an Auto. Yeah, it'd be a last resort for sure. But ironic how the XJ has a 5000 pound tow rating and I've got the same or stronger powertrain on my TJ now, so it's really just wheelbase...

I took the boat out last week and the wife was unavailable with her truck. I grabbed a friend with an old fullsize and had him tow for me.

I did back in the day take my buddy's boat out for a day towing it about 15 miles each way with my 5-speed YJ though... It was a bit of the tail wagging the dog.
    Last edited by trayson; 04-10-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Yeah maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm in trade talks with a guy for a full size silverado lifted on 35's... and it's blue to match the boat. We'll see what happens there. My MC's trailer doesn't have brakes, that's the worst thing about it. That boat is only 2200 lbs dry with another 7-800 for the trailer though. I towed it down to table rock lake from KC (about 4 hours) and it did fine towing it until I got close to the lake with all the hills around the lake. I lost my brakes on the way down a hill and had to jam the jeep into 4 low to keep my speed down. That was scary.

I store it on the trailer in the winter but mid-season if it has to come out, this is the vehicle of choice.

yale1.JPG

yale2.JPG

With the trailer, we use a little diesel tractor with a ball in place of the bucket, best way to maneuver a trailer, ever.
    Last edited by SquamInboards; 04-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Kid that works for me in the summers and goes boarding with us also just got his truck from having leveling kit added and 35s put on his Toyota. Helps to have a dad that is a doctor.
    But I think he will be towing some this year.

2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Got a pic of our setup over the weekend...

Last edited by jasun; 05-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    86 Saltare