Default adding ws420 to stock 2007 kenwood system

I have purchased a ws420 for my stock kenwood stereo for my 2007 21v. I am hoping for some installation tips on integrating with the stock system. I have the factory HU(model kts-mp400mr), 4 ch amp, sub, and tower speakers(1 pair). I started the install yesterday and noted the boat speakers(4 of them) are hard wired to the HU(not connected via RCA).

I want to connect the in boat speakers to the pre-amp for volume control, but I am unsure of the best way to do this. I am satisfied with the in-boat sound(i.e. no amp) for now.

After connecting everything (except the in boat speakers) to the preamp, I could not get the sub to work, does this have something to do with the way the HU is set up? there is a seperate output on the HU for the sub?

I know the factory set up is not the best, but I am on a very tight budget, and not much of a audio geek, some may say def-tone even. but I am trying to make the setup more family friendly, and get a little better quality/voume out of the tower speakers.

if their are inexpensive upgrades I can make to my system, please provide suggestions.

any recommendations on hooking up in-boat speakers and getting the sub to work are appreciated!

I will suggest just leaving the cabin speakers running straight from the head unit until you can get an amp for those. The only way I can figure to do it without adding an amp is to use 2 line level/rca converters. First, I'm not sure that would work. Second, they cost money that could be put towards doing it the right way with an amp. Third, it would just be rigged/tacky and not worth it even if it did work. So for now, just use the head unit to control the level of the system, then use the ws420 to independently adjust the sub and/or tower speakers.

The issue with the sub sounds like it could be several things. My guess is that maybe it is hooked up wrong since you mentioned the sub-out preamp on the head unit. Only one preamp from the head unit needs to be used when installing a WS420. You should have one RCA providing signal from the head unit preamp output to the WS420 main input. There should then be, in your case, 2 RCAs coming from the WS420 going to your 4ch amp. One for the tower(A-channels) and one for sub(B-channels bridged) or vice-versa.
    http://www.wetsounds.com/media/produ...ser_Manual.pdf

Was the sub installed/working before adding the WS420 or is it a new addition as well?

I assume you are using 2 channels from the 4ch amp to power the sub? If that's the case, make sure that it is bridged correctly on those 2 channels and set to mono. Make sure the crossover for those channels is set to low-pass(LP/LPF). Also remember that the sub should not be wired below a 4-ohm load if bridged.(applies to 99% of amps)

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks for the info. I think I was pretty much headed down the road you are suggesting.

The sub was part of the stock system and previously worked. I tried hooking it back up to the HU the way it was and it still wasn't working, so i have some troubleshooting to do between the amp and the sub.

as far as it being bridged, there are two sets of wires from the amp to the sub, I am not sure, but it does not looked to be bridged to me.

Well, after troubleshooting the sub/amp/stereo, I found that the sub was actually the problem, it just isn't working anymore.
    Since the sub wasn't working anymore, i just went ahead and bridged the amp for the tower speakers, I think they sound better/louder now then before.
    I will look for a good deal on one of those 5 channel amps, but is that enough considering there are 6 in-boat speakers(4 in the cabin, 2 in the bow). will that power 6 speakers, and a sub(if/when I replace it)?

Are you positive that the sub is broken? If it worked before and all you did is re-wire some things, it seems unlikely that it is somehow broken/blown. A local stereo shop can test it if you're not sure.

If you get a 5 channel amp and keep the 4 channel hooked up as well, you should have plenty of wiring options for 6 cabin speakers, 2 tower speakers, and sub. What models are your existing cabin speakers, tower speakers, sub, and amp?

yeah, to tell you the truth, I am not absolutely positive the last time the sub worked. the last time out(which was the first time for this year) I didn't pay attention to it, and really didn't crank the tunes. I borrowed a sub from a buddy and hooked it up on the boat and it worked.

it is all the stock kenwood stuff, not sure the models. the tower speakers are the roswell stock speakers for '07. I am going to take the sub in someplace just to verify that it isn't working.