Hybrid View

This would be a better article if they got more detailed. What brand and grade of oil was tested? As others have said what about synthetic oil its viscosity doesn't break down. Are they saying that 30 hour changes cures the problem or just covers the oil consumption. What if you just check and add oil as needed and change at 50 hours. Is 5700 lbs of ballast common in your wake boat ? I'm way under 2000 in one boat and 0 in the other where does that put me as far as oil changes?

That article was based on data from an LSA engine which is our supercharged small block engine. That engine uses Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W30 oil as specified by General Motors. The data is consistent with what we see on conventional 5.7L and 6.0L engines that use conventional 15W40 oil.
    Last edited by Engine Nut; 03-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines

Very cool that you are posting and posting f/u. I appreciate it. It's surprising to me how much oil these engines are consuming.
    2009 21V

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Very cool that you are posting and posting f/u. I appreciate it. It's surprising to me how much oil these engines are consuming.
    So is this chart saying that engines <450 hp are going to have Oil break down even faster, and may not be sized right for wake-boarding/surfing applications?
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247LSV