Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1990 Supra Sunsport

Oh man...finally...I am finally able to post MY (okay OUR, I am sharing with my roommate) Supra. This will be a definite project, but this is going to be AWESOME. $5,500 total, not too shabby I would say

The stringers feel good, but there are a spot or two that feel a little soft. While the upholstery gets sorted we are going to replace the floors and check everything out.

Also need to find a tower...any suggestions? And of course, no forum thread would be complete without a bunch of photos.

This is how we bought it, just after the test drive:

The hull was a little faded, but within 10 minutes of being home we set to work:

The interior needs a little work for sure:

Congrats on the purchase. It's looking great. I'm curious about how you buffed out the gelcoat (you knocked that out so fast). Did you buff with rubbing compound or do some wet sanding?

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Well...we kinda just winged it and I am sure it will not last too long. We used a polish and then a wax from Turtle Wax. haha. Really we want to do wet sanding eventually. Just thought we needed to do something before it got dark

Looks like you just managed to bring home the younger, trimmer, better looking, little sister to the broken down, fugly, old big bertha Saltare I drug home a few years back. My girl's finally starting to come around after a major facelift, so I know your's is gonna be knock down gorgeous when she's all cleaned up. Yes, that quick polish & wax won't last long on the oxidized black, but sure gives you a sense of what's underneath (mine was so chalky it looked blue).

Congrats & keep us posted...

Picture 007 small.jpg
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Oh man! Yup, mine looked just like that! It will be a few months before we plan to get it in the water (even in "sunny" california) so we figured while it is in our driveway being worked on, we might as well spruce her up a little! Just so she knows she is in a good home now

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but any chance that there are upholstery kits still out there for these? I am going to be doing some shopping around for local places to see what I can find.

Any tower suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by cavilry View Post
    Oh man! Yup, mine looked just like that! It will be a few months before we plan to get it in the water (even in "sunny" california) so we figured while it is in our driveway being worked on, we might as well spruce her up a little! Just so she knows she is in a good home now

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but any chance that there are upholstery kits still out there for these? I am going to be doing some shopping around for local places to see what I can find.

Any tower suggestions?
    I've heard that there are guys on the malibu forums that have patterns for these boats and can make you whole new skins for DIY installation. My friend went this route on a 95 Malibu and it turned out great.

I've never pursued it since my interior isn't anywhere close to stock. But.... yours looks like it is. Maybe someone else on here knows?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Interesting.
    Yeah I found some guys with on the forum who used a guy named Chee...but thats all malibu stuff?

http://www.copycatupholstery.com/gallery.html

Not sure if it is the kinda thing you might be looking for but I have heard great things about this place. A guy I know had his SN2001 redone with their skins and it looks amazing. But then again, he use to do furniture upholstery for a living.

Nice find! I just contacted them for a quote! That could be great. Putting the upholstery on ourselves is not a concern (I have done my fair share of motorcycle seats, old chairs, etc.) I know this would be a big project, but the hard part for me is the patterns!