Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is that using a mefi V mercruiser or rinda diagnostic reader?
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I'm not sure, it's my tech's reader, it's a pretty elaborate code reader. Told us a lot of history when it was working.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

listen to your symptoms runs then dies....... this is a 05 correct ? so we are going to have crank sensors , camshaft position sensors , knock sensors , fuel pressure regulator,
    fuel pressure , MAS, IAC, ? input voltage , output voltage ... with a volt meter , fuel pressure gauge , and a Noid light you should be able to verify key ingredients for running ....

after you verify those then i would start with the crank sensor ... bad signal ohms will tell ECU to shut the motor down ... have you put it on a fake lake (hose) to check
    these ?
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

We checked voltage, fuel pressure, and knock sensor. We checked (the numerous) grounds too. The reason we believe it has to be the computer is because when we have the computer and scanner hooked up and the boats running on the fake a' lake. We'll have everything, boat will be running and the computer is downloading the info from the brain then all of the sudden the computer kicks the scanner out of the brain and the boat dies. If it were a sensor or fuel pressure we'd still have access to the brain with the key in the on position. Instead it goes dead and locks us out. When we pulled the computer off one of the pins in the MEFI 4 was missing and the harness showed signs of getting hot and was slightly burnt. Middle of last year I had a raw water pump hose pop off running at full tilt and everything got hot. Up until now I think the only thing I had to replace was a hose clamp from the raw water pump from that incident, but I think somehow the computer got cooked when all these codes presumably pushed through the computer.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Does the ECU have a sealed case ? Can u Un screw the case ? I would think it would have a gel coating over the board to eliminate water issues but if it heated the case when the hose popped off then , I could melt some of the gel coating .. Just run continuity throughout the main harness and make sure u are good there . And then move to the ECU .. Will the computer let u Into the software with the key on and engine off ?

Lively,

Whether the switch is in the on position or the boat is actually on, it will only let us in randomly. And when it does let us in it won't let us in long before kicking us out (and turning the boat off if the boat is on). The computer is inside a case just above the V-Drive unit, we've taken it out. It does show some signs of water exposure but not much, the connections are what look to be the worst problem and what we believe is causing the problem. We checked all the relays and they're all good. About the only thing it could be, in our opinion, is the computer or the harnesses connecting the computer to everything.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Cause it sounds like it just loosing it's connection and this is what's killing communication to the data link ..
    Might start calling dealer and asking them some questions ... Or it just might be something simple as a loose connection ...
    How long will the engine stay running before it kaputs ?

It varies, from 10 seconds to 5 minutes. And it's stationary on land.

The dealer technician is the one doing the work with me, in conjunction with a contact at Skiers Choice.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Not like I know as much as you 3 (no where close) but curious as to why not in touch with Indmar, they have been pretty good when I have dealt with them. THis is an interesting thread for me.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Doc, that's my next plan if our fixes tomorrow morning don't pan out. I have a contact at Indmar who I spoke with about this at the end of last year when these problems first started and we thought it was the fuel pump. We've since replaced the fuel pump and that is obviously not the problem given the computers behavior.
    Last edited by iwakeboard; 04-12-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV